opinions on KMC resin products?

Good, bad, indifferent, no better or worse than everyone elses?

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci EAA # 729686 delete the word spam from email addy

Reply to
TimeTraveler658

Think Black Box. The current individual behind Black Box was half the KMC team. KMC sold their molds to Squadron, which is reissuing a lot of their sets.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

team. KMC sold their molds to Squadron, which is reissuing a lot of their sets..>

I'm completely unfamiliar with the quality from Black Box, so..... If KMC folded, that could mean a lot of things; bad product, management, both, but if Squadron is reissuing sets, I suppose that means they were pretty good, or at least good enough.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci EAA # 729686 delete the word spam from email addy

Reply to
TimeTraveler658

TimeTraveler658 wrote: : Good, bad, indifferent, no better or worse than everyone elses? : It may help to state what you are interested in. I believe their F4F-3 conversion was a total kludge, but the rest of their stuff was pretty good.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

TT:

The KMC products were very nice efforts. They folded because the Gent running the company learned the same lesson a lot of the rest have learned, being a small business entrepreneur and holding down a day job at the same time is a rough lifestyle. His stuff was good enough for Jerry Campbell at Squadron to pick up his molds and masters and begin reissuing the line. Very nice items.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Actually, I think the 1/72 scale 727 kit was what killed them off.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

IIRC they sold all their previous molds and masters to fund the 727. The critics panned it for inaccuracies and they haven't been heard from since. Another "all your eggs in one basket" scenario. Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper