29 years ago today

"Al Superczynski" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I assume they spend most of their time doing their military job, since that's what they are supposed to do right? In their spare time they assemble the mates and hop in their car to go to the nearest large town with the most nightclubs. The only difference with the situation at home is the beerbrand and the language of the local girls. That seems hardly the way to learn about foreign cultures and foreign way of thinking to me. Been abroad for the military doesn't guarantee for not having twisted ideas about foreign countries.

Reply to
Bassie Adriaensen

wrong

This is where I feel in the middle...I am a conservative,I believe in a strong defense and in honoring veterans...but I have never served.There was no true need nor draft when I was of age,and the military life itself did not appeal to me.I had a brother that was career army and I wasn't impressed by the life he led.But some of you guys make it sound like I am not patriotic just because I didn't wear a uniform...So I think both sides in this argument need to step back a bit...

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Hey, I resemble that remark! Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

No you don't. You're a liberal, not a flaming lefty. And you know how to disagree without being disagreeable.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I don't think any of the current or former military personnel on here mean to give that impression. It's just that we get pissed when we're implied to be war mongers or illiterate/unthinking apes.

Patriotism can take many forms, but indiscriminate America-bashing isn't one of them.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

One would certainly hope so.

nearest large town with

While some do just that it's a gross injustice to imply that all American military personnel, DoD civilians, and their dependents act that way.

So what? Which status then would qualify Americans to form an accurate and unbiased opinion of foreign countries? Tourist? Diplomat? What?? And BTW, what's your personal experience of living in the USA for an extended period of time?

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Thank you Al...all I needed to hear

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

It makes one wish for a three-foot-wide plateau bounded by 700-foot cliffs. Please step back, the both of you.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

"Al Superczynski" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

to the nearest large town with

Trying to turn things your way again huh? May I point out to you that Woodier made the mistake of a misconceived generalisation, and that you and him are the ones who are regularly trying to keep up the appearance of being worldly. Besides that, in spite I have never been to the USA, I think I can safely assume that I know more about your country than you know about my scandinavian country.

Reply to
Bassie Adriaensen

Hypocrite.

Nice call, Al.

WmB

WmB

You're comment hit the X-ring once again, Al. I couldn't have said it better.

"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

I did. Hmmm, I don't remember doing that; I'm so ashamed. It must the influence of the crap you write but, if it irritates you, it must have been a good thing.

Was that supposed to put me in my place? Is that all you got? Is that the best you can do? Here's the thing, Mr not applicable....I don't need to appear worldly. I am what I am and make no pretenses. Unlike you, I don't need to APPEAR to be anything.

Ahhh, the old ASS-U-ME thing again. You can't safely assume anything, N. A. I doubt seriously that you know anything. With all the stereotyping and generalization you throw around, it's clear you don't even understand your own little slice o' heaven, let alone America.

Listen, not applicable; here's a couple news flashes for you......

  1. You dislike me because I'm not afraid to speak my mind to you and that frightened you deeply.

  1. You dislike me because I believe there are still things in this world worth fighting for; and, yes, even worth dying for when you don't believe anything that causes you to have to get up from your Scan-Design lounger isn't worth it.

  2. You dislike me because I'm in the military and have put my life on the line for my country and her national interests in four separate combat actions when you couldn't even get accepted in your own little military.

  1. You dislike me because I believe in leading rather than following or getting out of the way when you're just a sheep who couldn't lead your way out of a Finlandia-soaked paper bag.

  2. You dislike me because I have the guts to try when you don't have any guts at all.

  1. You dislike me because I live in America. That's right, America. Say it with me now, Mr N. A. A-mer-i-ca. See, there; it's not hard to say at all. You dislike me because I live here and you can't.

  2. OK, let's wrap it all up now. I couldn't be more proud of all the things you dislike me for. I wear your dislike as a badge of honor. I am comfortable that, if you don't like those things about me I must be on the right track and am doing the right things. You run along now and build yourself a little ice hotel or something important like that.

"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

I don't even *have* to try with you. You make it almost too easy......

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Reply to
Bassie Adriaensen

You may have heard more about us...and you might THINK you know us...

but trust me when I say...you cannot understand us. Every keystroke you make illustrates how little you understand us.

Reply to
Chris

After which LBJ got us in neck deep then dumped the whole mess in the lap of Richard Nixon who, somehow, managed to wind up with the lions' share of the blame.

Norm

Reply to
Zaticon 1

Very true because the Trickster run in 1968 on a platform of "I have a plan to get us out of Vietnam" and again in 1972 with " I STILL have a plan to get us out of Vietnam." What did he do in 1972 that couldn't have been done in 1968? Honest question, no flames, please!

The Old Timer

  1. He was never POTUS in 1968. That's one full year of the thing you'll have to keep on LBJ's plate. As history records, quite an important year too.
  2. He started taking off the gloves and bringing the fight to the NV when he took office, whether they were in downtown Hanoi or zipping back and forth across the Cambodian border.
  3. And the whole time he was doing this, the left squirmed about his escalating the war. Richard Nixon did not ask for the War Powers Act of
1973. That was a measure signed into law by the majority Democrat controlled Congress to stifle any idea Nixon might have had about actually allowing the military to win the war.
  1. By 1973 and the WPA, Richard Nixon knew full well that collectively the US no longer possessed the desire to win the war in Vietnam. He could not be certian of this, but at the very least he could now be sure that the Democrat controlled Congress had lost their nerve. If they ever actually possessed any to begin with..

You could write volumes about all the reasons why and the politics in between and spend years afterwards arguing those very points. It's been going on in earnest since about 1967 for you old timers.

WmB

WmB