1/72 DC-4/C-54 from MACH"

New from Mach 2 . Injection kit with decals for USAF WWII (1943), USAF-Berlin Airlift 1949, US NAVY Operation Deep Freeze 1958, R.A.F. WWII 1945 and Pan Am 1954

Images on our site

under latest news

-- Daniel Mikhail

snipped-for-privacy@modellbaustube.com

Modellbaustube

ALL RIGHT!!!

Now to just wait a year or so and get the ItaleriRevelletc. kit that will certainly follow on.

MPM et al would also be a good idea.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Just got a call from Bill at Berkeley Ace Hardware.

He ordered a couple, retail at $85. I broke down and had him hold one for me.

With all of the possible markings and variants I guess I can use two when a better quality one comes out.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

$85? A little too rich for my blood. Is that a typical price for big Mach 2 kits now?

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Bill will probably shave something off of it, but I doubt if he'll get more than he has sold, at least the first time around.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Maiesm72) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m14.aol.com:

Considering the quality of MAch 2 going by reviews and what I've seen and the prices they charge I frankly can't believe they are in business. I think there must be a lot of not so smart modeleres out there. You buy crap you get more of the same. I mean really AM fails and they flourish? Please!

Reply to
Gray Ghost

It's great.

-- Jacek H.

Reply to
Jacek H

"Jacek H" wrote in news:c6tohu$al4$ snipped-for-privacy@nemesis.news.tpi.pl:

And for $85 they can keep it. I've seen to many negative reviews of MAch kits. And looked in to many of thier boxes. CRappy finish, crappy fit, so-so detail. Nope. Become competitive and I'll buy. Same as with Trunmpeter. At least thier kits look better in the box.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

42 Euros according to that site = ~$50US = ~£28UK, assuming you get the exchange rate given by
No comment on what the postage is likely to cost though.

Jon.

Reply to
Jonathan Stilwell

i can buy 1-2 5-10 dollar kits now and then. i'm the perennial optimist on eekbay. i got a matchbox do18 for less than 4 bucks. i've gotten 5-6 kits for $20 including shipping a few times. my point is, the sexy 100 buck kits are nice, happily most are modern jets or single engine common props, that makes them easy to resist. i build what i buy, i wish i had more matchbox walru's and bf 110's. they are little gems and look great. my highest price for a kit was $33 for a ca walrus. that will sit until my skills are better. like the man said build what you like...i add, and what you can afford.

Knock yourself out, Tom. I have some Heller DC-6s I paid peanuts for and a Rareplanes DC-4. I'm sure a kitbash would be a lot less hassle. If not, I'll buy yours from Lynn at the estate sale. ;+) Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

OOOH!

That's a low blow.

Besides, I intend to build every last one .

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Hannant's lists it in stock today.

Reply to
famvburg

Well, Frank they put out some types that no one else does. One either waits for somebody, anybody to bring out the ONE you want or you buy theirs. I know, I've got two of theirs because I probably won't be on this plane when someone else brings them out. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate your sentiments expressed in the next to last sentence.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Let's quantify just what kind of company Mach2 is.

They are not a Trumpeter in an asian country with many employees . As far as I can tell, it is a ONE man operation. The website shows the injection molding machine in his garage:

How many of us out there are prepared to throw away our jobs and risk working for our fellow enthusiasts?

I think most of the scorn heaped upon Mach2 is based upon pricing -ie perceived value, and some of that blame should go to the US distributors who greatly increase the cost. I think everyone realizes that Squadron has a couple of other mangy kit lines that they distribute with a big price tag as well. The only reason I scan the Squadron newsletter is to see if those 'new' expensive kits are on clearance, and when they usually do go on sale they are quite reasonable.

I can and have to respect people voting with their wallets, but that does not always explain the matter. Mach2 will stay in business precisely because they are a cottage industry. And let's respect them for their subject matter which fills many niches.

And I don't buy the argument that a Mach2 kit automatically prevents another manufacturer from considering a release. Revell's Breguet Atlantique is living proof of that.

I consider Mach2 kits "injection molded vacuforms", because that is what you get. The difference being that the Mach2 plastic is much thicker and you can work it more.

What is most frustrating to me about the Mach2 lineup is that no one makes photoetch, resin engine detail kits, or replacement canopies dedicated to the line up. I mean if you can get canopies for Hase/Tamiya kits, why not Mach2? They would improve the kits 100% and you would see a lot more finished kits at shows.

Keith Walker

Reply to
Scorpian

Yeah! Don't we all! :-)

Bill Shuey (who has quit counting)

Reply to
William H. Shuey

"injection molded vacforms" yeah, that's a good description. Much as I would have liked to see a PBM from Academy or someone better, I doubt anyone is going to step in it now that Mach 2 has released one. Or the Do 26 or the Arado 232; they gotta be better than the Airmodel kits, just have to gird up ones' loins for the work... Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

I bought the Do 26 and I built it, and I got something that looks more like a Do 26 than any viable alternative (which is to say, a lot--the Airmodel can be built up fairly nice, but the Mach 2 is barely better.) Building the Do 26 took close to two hundred hours, which is exorbitant by any stretch of the imagination. I bought the PBM and I will build it too; it is significantly better in the box than was the Do 26, which is to say "No picnic."

That said, I won't buy much of anything else of Mach 2's, because the subjects are either better done by someone else, or the subject is insufficently interesting to justify the expense and difficulty. The DC-4 is a close call were it at $50; at $85, I cannot justify less than Tamiya excellence.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert