Airbrush wearout?

I'm an airbrush newbie and recently got a cheap Model 1500 airbrush from Harbor Freight. In an earlier thread I saw mentioned that they don't last too long, and in other threads wear issues were mentioned for other airbrushes as well. Since there are generally no rotating or even fast moving parts in an airbrush (although I've read about turbo brushes as an exception), I'm curious which parts are typically wearing out, and what causes the wear - chemical corrosion or embrittlement of plastic or rubber parts and seals, or mechanical abrasion due to pigment particles in the paint/air stream?

Martin

Reply to
100450.3563

My stalwart little Badger 200 has served with distinction now for over 30 years with its original needle and nozzle. Take a little care dismantling for a complete cleaning before putting it away. Wipe the rubber component rather than soaking them in solvent. Use fine brass or copper wire to dislodge any build up inside the nozzle. Don't use steel or worst of all the needle tip. The mearest hint of a lubricant on the threads will be useful in preventing them from "freezing" together but keep anything greasy away from the nozzle.

But firstly be brave enough to shell out that little bit extra for a quality brush. Giving these precision tools a little TLC will add years to their lifespan.

Reply to
Les Pickstock

I'm still using the same Badger 200 that I got when I was 14...that was

31 years ago, and I've NEVER dissambled it.

What I do is to spray thinner through it until it's coming out clear, and then store it with the needle fully seated. I clean the nozzle exterior with a Q-Tip soaked in thinner once the needle is seated. The thing still runs like the day it was new.

Reply to
Rufus

Thats what I do when its in use. I flush the last colour with gunwash then clean thinners. I also backwash the gun by holding a cloth pad over the nozzle and blowing the air back through. You have to be careful not the put the tip against your skin or you run the risk of pneumatic injection. Before I put the brush away for any length of time I strip it and clean it throughly. To each his own, this has always worked for me.

Reply to
Les Pickstock

Ditto on the back-flushing. I also use a pipe cleaner to clean the delivery tube.

Reply to
Rufus