Airfix ReIssues

carefully cut the following from his sprue and glued it together:

the locomotives,

If you are based in the UK, or visiting us here - the Dapol factory is open during the school holidays - you can see the model sprues being injected and fill up with some otherwise hard to get kits. There's also the Doctor Who museum, and an exhibition of model railway stuff. Take a look at their website

a day out if you're in the area.

Treadhead

"Do not quench your inspiration and your imagination. Do not become the slave of your model" - Vincent Van Gogh Howard Freeman IPMS(UK) 9169 snipped-for-privacy@afvs.co.uk

treadhead

I`d forgotten about that, Though I did`nt realise that they had the figures too, Perhaps a trip to Llangollen is in order! Darren

Reply to
Darren

Fouga Magister

The currently available 1/72 Heller Magister is from the Heller mold and is not an Airfix rebox. It looks better (IMHO) than the Airfix kit.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Sagara

I had one of those!

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

these are the two i'd like to see from your list, esp. the canberra.

suggests you writes a snail-mail letter to humbrol. it won't hurt to suggest this list to them.

trevor

Reply to
87015

Ditto, except my experience was with the De Havilland Venom. Saw one at an airport open house last month and was surprised at how small it was. I always thought that the Venom/Vampire aircraft were pretty ugly and never had much interest in them. But seeing one up close made me change my mind. Seemed like it would be a blast to to fly. Did a quick walkaround and peeked into the cockpit. A little later, I was standing on the taxiway when it was pulled out of its parking spot to start its engine. The Venom used a cartridge starter which shot a huge stream of black smoke up into the air, very cool! I was standing about 200 feet directly behind it and you could see the combustion chamber ignite and burn. The Venom then taxied to the runway and took off with a very low rate of climb (Jeffco Airport in NE Denver is a mile high). This very cool little airplane now has me thinking of Venoms and Vampires.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Sagara

think of how cool two would look, one off each wingtip of a vulcan.

The Vulcan transporter actually had three Gnats under it, one in the bomb bay, one under each wing...

Wulf

Reply to
Wulf Corbett

point me to any pics of that?

In article , e writes

Not sure if they got as far as actually doing it. I've seen a 1/72 model mock-up in an aviation museum somewhere, probably Duxford?

Reply to
John Halliwell

i dunno, i haven't been in england since the 60's.

FWIW In 1/48 scale the Aero-Club Venom's are very nice efforts. Mixed media type kits. There is a rumor that Classic Airframes may follow their Meteor line with a batch of Vampires and Venoms.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

It was never built or even mocked up, as far as I know, sorry if I gave that impression. The only illustration I've seen of it was in the Putnam book on 'The British Bomber'. Unfortunately, my scanner no longer functions...

Wulf

Reply to
Wulf Corbett

that's ok, i'll just put it on my list of searches. that one be the foland gnat? odd bird.

In article , e writes

Yes, the idea was to provide 'fighter escort' for V Bomber raids over the USSR. The Gnats were to be carried and released if fighters attacked and would then have to make their own way home (or as far as they could manage).

Reply to
John Halliwell

Yup, the single-seat fighter version, not the trainer as used by the Red Arrows. Tiny little thing, no idea at all why they decided to invent a US naval version for the movie Hot Shots... (although they may well have been the Indian license-built version, the Hal Ajeet).

Wulf

Reply to
Wulf Corbett

sort of like the goblin. the b-36 would release the goblin, the enemy fighters would die laughing and the goblins would crash.

only good charlie sheen movie. sort of.

It was never built as such. However, during manuevers Gnats would occasionally fly under "Aggressor" Vulcans and then fly ahead, representing cruise missile launches. Kim M

Operation American Freedom-Where is our regime change?"

Reply to
Royabulgaf

Probably because:

  1. They are small and cheap to operate. You can pack more in a scene, and the producers save money. And most importantly,

  1. They were available.