Alclad/Decal Glue Problem

I'm finally finishing a 2-year bout with AMS - putting the final touches on my sliced and diced HobbyCraft T-33. I am putting on Aeromaster decals. However, I noticed that the glue residue from the decals is reacting with the Alclad II paint. I'm now leaving sticky, gooey fingerprints in the paint joib. I've never had this problem with paint and decal glue before. What is the problem?

Thanks,

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

Did you use something like Solvset on the decals? It sounds like there is a chemical reaction going on that is either causing corrosion in the metal particles in the paint or causing the carrier medium the metal particles are in to go soft by acting like a thinner on it. If the adhesive on the decals is either base or acid in ph, you could see the corrosion aspect occurring, but the gooey aspect suggests that something is causing the paint itself to start to go soft. How long did you let the paint dry before you started to put the decals on? Metallic mineral spirit based paints are notoriously slow to completely dry and I've run into the same problem when applying decals over a metallic finish that hasn't dried for at least a day or two, particularly if it was thickly applied; it seems that even just water and decal adhesive can cause it to go soft. I lost a Contrail "Bounder" bomber that way.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

No decal solvents.

After I posted to RMS I went to Hyperscale and did a search. I seemed to remember a recent thread about bad batches of Alclad. Sure enough, the thread is still active. As the thread is months old, I would have thought my one week old bottle would be the "good stuff." WRONG!

I remember now that I ran out of Alclad 101 and bought a new bottle. I only had to touch up about three places on the model and that is where I'm having problems.

I just spent an hour using the the sharp edge of a square wooden toothpick scrapping the gooey crap off my aircraft. To say I'm pissed would be understatement. However, in the Hyperscale thread there are guys who have painted entire aircraft with the bad batch paint. I'm lucky in a way that this happened because next week I start painting my 1/32 Trumpeter MiG 21F. The paint will either be a well-tested replacement bottle of Alclad or a different brand. And right now I lean toward a different brand.

Now I just have to re-sand, re-mask and re-paint three postage stamp-size areas on my T-33. But it will not be Alclad paint this time.

BTW one of the Hyperscalers had a simple test to determine whether your batch is good or bad. Simply put a small amount on your thumb and forefinger. After five minutes rub the two together. If slick, its okay. If still tacky, it will remain so and is bad. (Remember to not pick your nose or go to the bathroom during the five minutes.)

For those who have not done so, I recommend reading the Hyperscale Alclad thread.

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

I e-mailed Tony Hipp of Alclad late last night. He e-mailed me back early this AM. He already has a replacement bottle on the way to me. I am most appreciative of his quick response and action.

Art

Reply to
Art Murray