alt.sf.scale-models

i wish you would lose that pgp shit here, it's really annoying. sadly, that group is a spam trap. last legit post on google was waaaaaaay back.

Sorry if ya don't like "e," but I happen to be one of the people who actually takes security seriously. Also I have seen ASCII signatures that took up WAY more space then the nine lines that my PGP digital signature does.

Its sad to hear that the alt.sf.scale-models is nothing but a SPAM trap, it's name sound like it would have been a good resource for builders of Sci-Fi models.

Digital_Cowboy

Reply to
Digital Cowboy

I have not gone to that NG in years but when I used to check it, it was usually not a very active place. Except for the spammers. Cheers, Max Bryant

Reply to
Max Bryant

BTW have you tried checking out the forums at Starshipmodeler.com or CultTVman.com? These are the places to go for active Sci-Fi model talk. Cheers, Max Bryant

Reply to
Max Bryant

I go there a couple of times a week to clear out junk and see if there's anything worth checking out. There are a few notes and questions, but sadly not very much.

The Old Timer

nothing wrong with security, but this ain't one of those groups.

Digital Cowboy

gee, i've been in usenet since 95 with nothing more than a munged email. i guess pgp is just too CoOl AnD lEet for me.

Digital Cowboy

my point is it isn't neccessary...but whatever makes you happy. it will make me skip over rather than pick my way through.

Digital Cowboy

me skip over rather than pick my way through.>>

be the only person who has a problem with my using PGP to sign my postings. Why should I have to go in and manually change my default settings, just to please apparently one person???>>

Ok guys, you've pissed in each other's Wheaties, both of ya cool yer jets! Cowboy, if you want to use a PGP, GPS or PG&E security thing, knock yourself out. I and others simply add nonsensical stuff to our return addresses to kill spam, but do whatever gives you peace of mind, ok? Anyone who really wants to email you can (I have)--it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out your email address. Tooftoof, what can I say? You're fighting a battle you can't possibly win--it's time to fly the white flag, do a strategic reversal, whatever. Can we get back to politics now? Oh damn, I mean modeling, sorry, my bad--sometimes I forget what this NG is for.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci

Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy
Reply to
Digital Cowboy

The last posts I saw were back in April, when the Polar Lights NX-01s started showing up- and that thread died a quick and lonely death. The group started with good intentions- (in the wake of a failed re-org/split of r.m.s. seven years ago) but it's failure is most likely due to the propagation problem that all alt groups have.

I'll echo what Max said: The webboards at Starship Modeler and the Hobbytalk boards that CultTVMan and Polar Lights sponsor are your best bets for online sciffy model discussion. Both have good communities with strong signal-to-noise ratios. (unlike r.m.s.)

Sat

Reply to
Saturn S. Padua
Reply to
Digital Cowboy

There is a Thunderdome section of the Starshipmodeler forums for off topic rants. Alot of steam gets released there.

Cheers, Max Bryant

Reply to
Max Bryant

Ummm, build models?

The Old Timer
Reply to
Digital Cowboy

We knew that. ;) Sadly, I think the raging political chest-beating drives people away who came here for some respite from all that. When I first found this group back around '97 there were many more posters than there are now. I have file folders full of hard copy stuff that appeared here that was too good and would come in handy later. I hope I remember where to look when later gets here. :)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak