Average Out Of Box Building Times?

Thanks for considering this:

In a given scale 1/72 single seat World War Two planes, 1/25 cars.

1/700 scale ships, 1/35 scale armor, only to name a few,, I am interested in how long does it take to complete an out of the box build. I am trying to sample as many types of building and builders as possible. I start and stop over a long period of time so I am not a good judge of what kind of time a decent out of the box build takes whether in be armor big or small, jets, props, ships, sci-fi, cars, figures. A lot of you are more organized than me. You might take four weekends, or however, much it takes, but you have the art of measuring your construction time down pat. I am thinking of writing a how do you model article with an emphasis on show building versus pure fun building.

Sincerely,

Big Al Cherer

Reply to
Albert

Actual labor time, does NOT include glue/paint/putty drying time. OOB

1/48 pr> Thanks for considering this:
Reply to
Ron Smith

Not all OOB kits are equal! I am building a Heller large scale sailing ship with over 2000 parts. That is a multi-year project. I just built a polar lights/Aurora robot (Robby from lost in space). That took a week.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

There are just too many variables to a simple answer to this one. Depends upon the kit & amount of detail you want to do OOB, IMHO. Some, I can do in 8 - 10 hours or even less. Others, much longer. I can remember as a pre-teen or even as a teen, (early - late 1970s) buying some of the 1/72 - 1/32 a/c kits available then, many times buying one on a Friday or weekend afternoon & being finished, all put together & painted & decaled & sitting on the shelf, by 10 or 11 pm that night. I didn't know any better than OOB at the time.

On Jun 16, 8:21 pm, Albert wrote:

Reply to
frank

who came up with the idea that you are supposed to finish a kit. Did I miss a memo or something?

Geez, since the 70's I struggled to finish a kit. Once the parts were one I neglected to paint (I still do that now) One painted I never got around to the decals.....

sometimes I think model building is good for me just for the sake of building with having no real need to finish the little buggers. Like Jed Clampett sitting outside his mansion whittlin' on a piece of wood. He ain't making anything but he's having fun doing it.

Craig

Reply to
crw59

i've done kits in a day and i have kits started 40 years ago. as long as i like what i'm working on, i continue. if i get bored, i put it aside. i do come back eventually but there are kits i will never finish. the constitution is one and a balsa b17 is another. i'm taking an ac break and doing armor. that will change, morph, adapt. i'm gravitating to larger scales for more detail.

Reply to
someone

Yes,painting blows,but,if you want to do it right.I basically finished a BTTF DeLorean a few years ago,I'm my own worst critic,it didnt look good.

Reply to
teem

complete? What do you mean "complete a build"?

If we take into consideration the vast majority of folks who dabble in this hobby, I would say the average build time to complete an "out of the box" model is 1 to 4 years (:>

Reply to
Count DeMoney

I can't say that it takes me ~that~ long, but I'm currently doing a

1958 Revell Space Station. Got remade decals, researched colors, made a few do-dads to accurize (not sure if that's the right term as it's a fictional Space Station) or detail the model. That took me a couple of weeks, while I worked on other kits. Since I've been actually ~constructing~ the model, I've done only one step on the instruction sheet per day; I'm now on day 11, step 10 (I skipped working on Father's Day for personal issues) and savoring every bit of it. I should be done in a couple of weeks or so.
Reply to
The Old Man

pictures, please.

Reply to
someone

on 6/21/2007 3:05 PM Count DeMoney said the following:

I have bunch of OOB models whose build time is going on 27 years now. Started but never finished.

Reply to
willshak

are they abandoned ot will you finish them?

Reply to
someone

on 6/22/2007 10:55 AM snipped-for-privacy@some.domain.invalid said the following:

There's only about 12 of them (all military tank/vehicles) and I do intend to finish them, but I also intend to win the lottery. :-) Half of them are Peerless.

Reply to
willshak

peerless? that a brand? i'll build any you lost interest in.

Reply to
someone

on 6/22/2007 11:43 AM snipped-for-privacy@some.domain.invalid said the following:

It was, back when I bought them in the late 70s. Box says Peerless Corporation, Philadelphia, PA 19124 Made in Japan. Dodge M6 37mm Gun carriage #3504 Dodge 3/4 ton Command car #3505 Dodge 1-1/2 ton Personnel carrier #3506 White M3A1 Scout car #3507 Canadian Chevrolet Field Gun carriage #3510 GMC 2-1/2 ton Cargo Carrier #3514

I'll get around to them. I did finish one, a Testors Italeri M32 recovery vehicle, a couple of months ago.

Reply to
willshak

i don't remember ever seeing a peerless kit, which is odd and now my curiosity is raving, so i will have to look them up. cool. thanks. i was joking, i'm sure you'll build them. thanks for the info.

Reply to
someone

What's worse?having half built kits laying around,or,kits that were never started?.

Reply to
teem

half built are unfullfilled dreams while unstarted are ebay fodder.

Reply to
someone

Depends on the space you have available. Half-built kits take up more and 'weather' nicely with dust. :)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller