TIPS ON STORING DECALS FOR SAFE KEEPING

Any suggestions on how to store away decals in a way that would keep them preserved and nice and fresh for future use would be greatly appreciated

Richard

Reply to
Richard Martins

well remember that all caps = yelling here at RMS. I keep mine in a rubbermaid tub in a all closet with minimal climate changes with some of the dessicant bags you get with electronics. I used to bag them but found some tried to stick to the plastic, so now I just lay them flat in the box. has worked fine with no problems for over 5 years.

Reply to
Craig

Light and moisture are your two big enemies. Drastic temp changes probably aren't good either, but as we neither freeze nor swelter in the Bay Area, I haven't worried about that. So keep 'em dark and keep 'em dry.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Personally I take a piece of butcher paper that when folded in half will have a small boarder around the decal sheet, place the sheet into the butcher paper "jacket" and slip that into a Ziploc type baggie labeled with the model specifics, then I file it in my filing cabinet, folder ex. Modern USAF 1/48; WWII USN 1/48 etc. So far over the last couple of years this has worked for me. We have high humidity year round so we tend to run air condition more often than not so humidity in the baggie isn't a problem, it could be else where possibly. Hope this helps.

Scott J

Reply to
Scott J

I have kept my decals in an air tight rubbermaid food storage comtainer for years. No problems. Then when I moved to a house with a much damper basement I got ahold of 50 cal. ammo cans I get at the local Army surplus. The cans have a water tight rubber seal and they are cheaper around here than rubbermaid. I have decals still in both types of containers and both do the job. Cheers, Max Bryant

Reply to
Max Bryant

I keep mine in zip lock bags and store them in an ordinary 3 ring binder. I buy those clear document protectors (open top slot type) and slide them in the binder. Box of 25 document protectors is like $2 and change, 3 ring binders are $2 as well at Wal-Mart.

I've since gotten a little fancier, I took some subject dividers and now have a section for 1/35 US armor, German armor, Sci-Fi, 1/72 scale armor, 1/72 scale aircraft, 1/48 scale aircraft, cars and ships.

Keeps them organized and handy next to my reference books on the shelf. Flip through the pages to see what I have, binder also keeps them relatively flat and not curling.

Rob Gronovius Visit my motor pool in the

gallery

Reply to
Rob Gronovius

I keep my decals in a filing cabinet, stored in the plastic baggie/envelopes they came in. If the plastic baggie or whatever is damaged, buy a box of replacement baggies at the grocery store, the sealing strip kind. I have decals that are W.W.II vintage that are still usable. Of course, some of those were helped by a coat of Micro-scale's "Superfilm" but they were still viable.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Thanks for the ideas guys, for the time being I think I will go with Max's suggestion and keep them in a air tight box. As I'm new to modelling this seems like the easyest route to take but will definatley use the other suggestions at a later date as my decal collection expands and a filling and reference system is needed..........

Reply to
Richard Martins

always a good idea to keep a list of what decal sheets you have.

saves _LOTS_ of problems at the hobby shop!

trevor

Reply to
87015