Bare Metal Foil advice

This is my first experience with Bare Metal Foil and I am wondering how you handle thin edges like the trailing edges of wings and tail planes. I have tried trimming the excess but it looks a bit ragged and lumpy. Any advice will add to my zero knowledge. Thanks, Pete

Reply to
The Laws

I presume you're applying it 'per panel'. I might offer that you wrap pieces like this to include both top and bottom of the wing areas. So, one flap, elevator, trim tab or slat would receive one piece to be applied to the top and wrap around the edge to complete the bottom at the same time or from left to right in the case of a rudder. Just a thought... If I'm totally off the mark, please advise!

Frank Kranick IPMS/USA 20352

The Laws wrote:

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

While I don't do aircraft, my experience with chrome-laden '60s cars has taught me enough to suggest this:

BMF is very thin and very soft, so multiple layers and edges are virtually invisible when properly burnished. Cover the bottom surface first and cut it as well as possible. Cover the top and cut it very slightly too long. Then, fold it under to the bottom and burnish the edge with a flat wooden toothpick. You'll quickly 'anneal' it so it will be invisible. The only 'trick' here is to properly prepare your toothpick! Using 600-1000 grit sandpaper, sand the flat end edges and tip smooth and round so it doesn't tear the foil but only *rubs* it. If you've got panel lines or the like, you *should* be able to use the tip of the toothpick in them without tearing your foil. I've normally got BMF seams all over my cars' chrome trim, but no one has ever been able to tell without a magnifying glass.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger