beaufighter?

was that really a beaufighter in the mummy: tomb of the dragon emporer? it sure looked like the bristol motors with the filters on the top and it had
the little dome on the fuselage, too. the interior shots were way out of scale with two rows of seats and a camel in the rear, but it sure lookedlike a day version. was there really a movie maker tha cool or is the explanation simpler? i wouldn't mind doing that movie version, it looked really cool. couldn't make out national markings but it was a dark painted version. ok, all you experts piss on my parade.....

I think they meant it to be a Beaufighter but didn't understand what had been done to the Beaufort fuselage to make the Beaufighter possible. The Aussies converted (or in some Marks, built as) transports of the Beaufort and I guess the filmmakers thought it a plausible thing.

Dig that. National markings look to be WW2 Aussie or RAF Late-War Tropical. Code is "SK-N". Picture is too dark to give you a serial number.
Stephen "FPilot" Bierce/IPMS #35922 http://frustratedpilot.livejournal.com

it seems pretty cool for commercial film. it does seem squat and the nose looks wrong, but overall it's a pretty fair attempt. i still marvel that they picked that ac. wonder if the set designer is a builder? they really got the intakes nailed. it's really a distinguishing feature. the ski's were kind of novel. somehow i can't imagine there were ever any real ski equipped beaus. thanks for the url and insights. did they use 3 letter codes? i thought they were 4.
snipped-for-privacy@some.domain said the following on 22/05/2011 00:34:

It's called artistic license and similar to the film Dresden where Lancs had fuselage roundels on the wing uppers, an entry hatch halfway up the fuselage on the port side and about 4ft away from the cockpit, no wingspar to mount and entry straight into a cockpit which looked more like an Avro Anson.
In The Mummy we even had something called the Royal Air Corps or something similar in the desert!

was dresden the one with the barrage ballon scene and the decent night bombing sequence's? i've got bits of the film i'm refering to, but never seen it all. the idea of sex on a barrage ballon is pretty funny.
snipped-for-privacy@some.domain said the following on 23/05/2011 02:42:

It was quite an interesting film from the viewpoint of German hospital staff initially and Dresden escaping being bombed until one fateful night...
Overall it was quite good but the RAF aircrew in the bar went a bit 'Dr. Who' when one of their best crews were shot down. They were almost to the point of saying "Hold me, I'm feeling fragile!"
<http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0461658/

still sad over the sara actress dying. i wish i had the episodes with her and pertwee. he's still my fave dr of all time. he really seemed to own that character.
snipped-for-privacy@some.domain said the following on 23/05/2011 21:58:

That was a surprise too as she was doing the Sarah Jane Chronicles series so had made a comeback.
My favourite doctor was William Hartnell as he was as scary as the Daleks and that's the way I think it should be. I long for the day that they let an Asian producer and writing group have a go and do at least one episode for adults.

yes, good thoughts there. there is certainly a lot of dark matter unexplored in the dr's character. i wouldn't want him to tell bedtime stories to young children, while i do not think he's evil, he certainly knows the face of fear and just how scary the universe is. i don't remember hartnell, was he from the b&w days or later? there are chunks where i was not where the show was shown, so i have missed entire dr's and companions. i could search all that out but it doesn't keep the flavor for me that way. i ruined the bleach series for myself by watching all 320 episodes almost non stop. many people don't undestand the terror of the daleks and think they are just black hats. i see them as the ultimate evil in the universe, a bunch who make the ss seem like cub scouts. haven't seen the chromicle's. looks like a i have some research to do. thanks!
snipped-for-privacy@some.domain ( snipped-for-privacy@some.domain) wrote in said the following on 23/05/2011 21:58:

While I get how bad the Daleks are, after all the Doctor exterminated the whole race and I don't think he'd do that lightly, they often seem comical with the "EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!" and some of the other things they say. It makes them seem like caricatures of evil.

that whole exterminate miuderstanding is what makes them so scary for me. you will laugh to death....
Gray Ghost said the following on 24/05/2011 03:19:

The Daleks were for 8 year olds and under, back in the olden days. Now, the writers seem to want to get things to fit the older generation who remember them from decades back but it all seems so 'camp' now. We seriously need some of that "W-T-Ffff!" factor to get everyone watching from behind the sofa again.
Also, 'health and safety' and not wanting to scare the children witless would dull the effect somewhat. It's a spreading rot too! I hear that E.T. has been effected with guns being replaced by mobile phones - or something like that.
For God's sake I hope they don't do a remake of John Carpenter's The Thing or it will look like the Tellytubbies.

the
comical
I actually don't like that they are bulletproof. They aren't big neough to carry enough armor. AP should do the trick.
And they are such horrid, deformed, little slugs. Hardly superior to algae. All that intelligence and all it has done is make them twisted.

They did. It was awful.
--
Herman Cain for President! http://hermancain.com /
If you don't support him you are a Racist!!

the daleks organic component doesn't seem large enough to carry a brain. i wonder where they hid it? sometimes they were scary and sometimes laugable. the scary ones seemed more realistic and faithfull to continuity. but we admit to a large degree of prejudice.
snipped-for-privacy@some.domain ( snipped-for-privacy@some.domain) wrote in

Noticed that, didja? The first time I saw them I was kinda shocked that that was how they choose to represent them.
Maybe they were like the Oog and had it outside thier bodies? Or was thier mind some way integrated into thier mechanical component?

the
comical
I actually don't like that they are bulletproof. They aren't big neough to carry enough armor. AP should do the trick.
And they are such horrid, deformed, little slugs. Hardly superior to algae. All that intelligence and all it has done is make them twisted.

They did. it was awful.
Gray Ghost said the following on 24/05/2011 19:29:

Hmmm? A life story somewhere in there somewhere! ;-)
I checked, Daleks appeared in December 1963 and I was born in 1956. I remember actually and truly watching them from behind the sofa and whimpering, my sister complaining and my mother saying to me the usual "Well, don't watch it then!" but I had to run back in to be petrified.
We couldn't have this version now. Ouch!
<
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QxNJEBr_l0

Hey, I went to go see The Day Mars Invaded Earth, spent every minute of the movie past the credits hiding behind a popcorn box. I was 8. I'm better now.

exterminated
oth
neough
al
There was a movie with five different horror stories. I was under 12 because of the theater I saw it in. I had to go out to the lobby in one scene.
When we saw Jaws we all jumped when the head popped out of the boat hull.
And I remember Alien. I was an adult by then but I watched on cable alone in the house and I about crapped myself.
I dunno, do they make movies that good anymore or is it all just gross out?
On Tue, 24 May 2011 22:35:33 -0500, Gray Ghost

I rely on Japanese & Oriental horror now. When I first saw "Ring", when she crawls out of the TV, I leapt to my feet and just shouted "F**K!" continuously about a dozen times (only filling in the blanks...) Thankfully I was at home, not in a cinema...
I've become inured to all the cliches of Western Horror. But some of the Eastern stuff works just fine...
Wulf