Black or Rubber Paint For Tank Bogies ??

Rubber paint seems to look a lot more accurate, black looks too clean, or does the rubber on tank bogies stay black?

Rubber paint has a mix of grey and brown added which looks a lot more realistic.

My feeble memory recalls a possible post on RMS about not using rubber color paint on German armor because the mix of chemicals, etc in their oil/rubber did not give off that brown tone.

Craig

Reply to
crw59

I think you're right and that most of the examples of tanks I've seen seem to have more black looking road wheels - even the tread blocks.

Testors Model Master Aircraft Interior Black makes a fantastic tire/rubber color. I use it for all my tires now. It's "not quite black", more like a graphite color. Looks just right.

Reply to
Rufus

on 2/23/2008 2:52 PM snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net said the following:

My rubber tire paint is a mix of flat black. white ( or grey), and tan.

Reply to
willshak

Tamiya NATO black always looks good to me. Since I discovered that I don't mix up arcane tyre black blends anymore. Needs to be airbrushed though.

Reply to
flak monkey

Most of the time it depends on how - or if - you weather out the model. I found years ago straight flat black works fine as a base color IF you weather the model, as the color lightens up with each process (e.g. dry brushing, dust, dirt, mud, sand, reverse washes, or pastels.)

If you don't weather a "weathered black" with a greyish tint looks better unless you are doing a "dog and pony show" version. The US Army has been noted in the past WAXING tanks and painting the black in situ to ensure it looks good (realiistic does not count when impressing the public!)

Cookie Sewell

PS Good trivia question: How many cans of Johnson's J-Wax does it take to do an M60A1? Answer: Seven

Reply to
AMPSOne