Blue Angels F11F-1 Question

Every picture I've seen of the Blue Angels' F11F-1 Tiger appears to be a lighter shade of blue than the earlier Panther / Cougar and the later F-4's and A-4's. Is that the case, or was it an era of bad color film? I'm building the Collect-Aire kit of the F11F-1 to complete my group of Blue Angels models and have to get the color right! But the pictures show the Tiger in several shades of blue, all lighter in color than the prior and subsequent airplanes flown by the Blue Angels.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

--++ A-Viator ++--

Reply to
acroman

I have the D&S F11F Tiger book in front of me open to the color spread of the Blues. I think the shade of blue on the long-nose Tigers (at least) is the same as it is for other Blue Angels planes. The only color picture of the short-nose Tigers makes the blue appear lighter, but the general color balance is all wrong anyway, so we can discount that.

Stephen "FPilot" Bierce/IPMS #35922 {Sig Quotes Removed on Request}

Reply to
Stephen Bierce

On the two occasions I saw the long nosed F-11F's at an airshow, they seemed to be the same blue to me. Later, the A-4's and F-4's looked like the same shade as well.

Don H.

Reply to
Don Harstad

I recall reading an article a while back saying the shade of blue changed slightly. It was probably Scale Aviation Modeler (Vol 10 issue

11, according to their website), has an article on it but I don't have access to my copy right now to confirm if that's the one I remember with color info. Have you tried contacting the angels directly to see if they have any documents?
eyeball