Bolton Paul Defiant question.

I'm building a set of RAF related dioramas. One such scene depicts a shop-up Defiant and the turret gunner being carted off in an ambulance. The question is: How did the turret gunner get in and out of the plane?

Cheers.

Spudgun

Reply to
Spudgun

I think there was a kind of platform between the turret and the cockpit, hinged at the front, and a section of it folded down to allow access. Or,the turret was probably slewed so the guns were at 90 degrees to direction of travel, to access. I'm sure I have a pic somewhere but someone else will probably oblige.

Regards

Pat Macguire

Reply to
Observer

Pictures I have seen show that the turret had a back portion that was removable/jettisonable and allowed the gunner to get in and out. To enter or leave the turret it was turned thru 90 degrees to the line of flight. In flight, the gunner slewed the turret and then bailed out backwards, at least that was the theory. Problem was the turret was hydraulic and any damage to the hydraulics effectively immobilized the turret. It could be cranked around by a hand crank, but that was a very slow process, and not good in a burning aircraft.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

"William H. Shuey" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@starpower.net:

Ya reckon hat might help you focus on those gunnery skills?

Reply to
Gray Ghost

That certainly matches what I've seen. I'm fairly certain that there is also an access ahtch in the floor beneath the turret. I'm not sure which means of access was intended to be used most regularly, the back of the turret would seem logical in the OP's intended diorama, Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies

Thanks for the info everyone (including the photo I was sent).

Spudgun

Reply to
Spudgun