C2 Cargo Ships and the Armed Guard

Does anyone know of any model kits (any media or scale) of the C2 ships of WWII especially the Tradewind or even the Westwind or Alfred C2?

Also any reference sites or sources that could help with recreating one of these ships would be helpful.

Thanks in advance, Rick

Reply to
Rick Bennett

Are these the ships that were known as the "Liberty Ships"?

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

C2-SA3 was modelled by Renwal as a US Navy attack cargo ship back in the 60's. Very high priced now, but there may be a resin or even wood kit of this hull--large numbers served in the US Navy as AK's or AKA's.

Reply to
Tom Cervo

Bill Shuey

I had thought so, yet when talking to the person who had crewed one, his memory was pretty strong that they were different from the Liberty ships. So far all attempts at research have been a dead end for me. Other than finding a ships register on the Armed Guard web site with his name listed on the SS Tradewind.

Thanks, Rick

Reply to
Rick Bennett

Rick,

The C2 was a different ship from the Liberty and the Victory. The Liberty was termed the EC2 (Emergency C2) while the Victory was a VC2. Other than the previously mentioned Renewal kit I am not aware of a C2 kit. There is a nice C1-M-AV1 from Loose Cannon as well as a Victory. Naval Works had a C3 that was recast by Jim Shirley productions. Revell Germany has produced a C3 as the Burleigh, which is in "box scale". But sadly there are not too many other kits of the Maritime Commission designed ships (C1s, C2, C3 and C4)

Bill

Reply to
William B. Smallshaw

Thank you for the help and insight. It looks like it might be a difficult and expensive project.

Thanks again, Rick

Reply to
Rick Bennett