Paper Structures

Yesterday I wne tot the GATS show in Sacramento, and there was a vendor with a small selection of HO and N scale paper buildings. I meant to write the name of the production company, but failed to do so.

The items were very nicely colored, were in bags, and there were also some "roof tile" and "siding" sheets.

I've looked on the Internet, but I can't narrow the search down to manageable proportions.

Does anyone here have any suggestions as to the publisher or brand name?

Thank in advance for any help.

GW Roberts

Reply to
Whitestreak

Probably Paper Creek Model Works (

). They have been featured and have had ads in the Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette for a short while. They do seem interesting! While at the Denver Narrow Gauge Convention last September, I was also able to see some of their kits in their display and at Caboose Hobbies. I contemplated buying one just because they were neat, but frankly the pricing turned me away. The HO depot was $29.95 for a structure kit made of paper, even if it looked great was too much for my interest. Add to this amount the difference in my Canadian money, and it would have cost me about $40.00 Canadian. You can buy injection molded structures for this amount or less. I bought a new Bachmann On30 0-4-2 Porter for $45.00!

Bob Boudreau Canada

Reply to
Railfan

In the January issue of MR there is an article on building a layout for about $500. The author used paper buildings cutout from Dover books. He mentions the names of the books where the cutouts were he used.

Chris. Spratt Victoria, BC

Whitestreak wrote:

Reply to
Chris. Spratt

They came in book format rather than bags, but Dover Publications has an extensive series of "Cut and Assemble" buildings, many of which are in HO scale. Several were used in the < $500 layout project in the Jan 2004 MR magazine. Dover has a good on-line catalog. GQ

Reply to
Geezer

I'm sure I'm not the only one who will reply to this request... but the name of the company was (is) "Paper Creek".... their line of structures is top-notch, although priced not too differently than many laser-cut craftsman-type kits. If there is a down-side to the product it is that they are pre-colored and leave to modeler little room to make the structure unique. I've seen them built-up, the owner is a very good guy with a great eye for art. If you are not a craftsman but want to kinda look like one it would be a great way to start!

Art Fahie

Reply to
Art Fahie

Was the porter $45 US or Can. just so we're not working with "apples and oranges" here...

Reply to
James Barley

Thanks for all the responses.

They were Paper Creek products - I went to their webite and the images looked familiar.

A little pricey, so maybe they'll be future purchases.

I hadn't looked at the January MR yet, so I'll put it at the top of the "To-Be-Read" pile.

GW Roberts

Reply to
Whitestreak

GW Roberts wrote: Yesterday I wne tot the GATS show in Sacramento, and there was a vendor with a small selection of HO and N scale paper buildings. I meant to write the name of the production company, but failed to do so. The items were very nicely colored, were in bags, and there were also some "roof tile" and "siding" sheets. I've looked on the Internet, but I can't narrow the search down to manageable proportions. Does anyone here have any suggestions as to the publisher or brand name? Thank in advance for any help.

Fiddler's Green has some nice paper models:

Thor's All Gauge page has paper structures:

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

Reply to
William Pearce

I produce a card kit (New Zealand country station) I got around the warping problem by making the walls etc from 3 layers of card. It works the same way as plywood - changing diimensions cancel each other out. Plywood is allways made from odd numbers of layers.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Greg, Yes, making a card ply is another solution to the warping problem. Regards, Bill.

Reply to
William Pearce

What do you glue the plys together with? Water based glue, or something like contact cement?

Reply to
<wkaiser

Contact cement. I tried water based glue, but that required each wall and panel to be pressed for at least 24 hours while the glue set. Kit assembly then became a job spread over weeks rather than of several hours in an evening.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Sorry, $29.95 for cardstock. Laser cut wood structures are better and competitive in price. Check out Mountaineer Precision Products. Not sure of the Web address. They have a growing line of kits that are excellent and are priced lower than the competition.

Railfan ("arailfan"@NOSPAMpost.com) wrote: : Probably Paper Creek Model Works (

). They have been : featured and have had ads in the Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette for : a short while. They do seem interesting! While at the Denver Narrow : Gauge Convention last September, I was also able to see some of their : kits in their display and at Caboose Hobbies. I contemplated buying one : just because they were neat, but frankly the pricing turned me away. : The HO depot was $29.95 for a structure kit made of paper, even if it : looked great was too much for my interest. Add to this amount the : difference in my Canadian money, and it would have cost me about $40.00 : Canadian. You can buy injection molded structures for this amount or : less. I bought a new Bachmann On30 0-4-2 Porter for $45.00!

: Bob Boudreau : Canada

Reply to
S C Sillato

Reply to
David P Harris

The model does look really nice, but you are right... $29.95 seems steep for paper.

It would be nice, however, to be able to find some generic commercial buildings to quickly populate a newly sprtung up town. I'm working on mine right now, and it would appear that it will take $200+ to "populate" the town with appropriate structures. I'd much rather spend about 1/5 of that and then be able to go back and do individual kits later. My modest town looks like it will need 15-20 structures... not only is that a lot of $$$, but it's a lot of time to asssemble, paint & detail them.

Oh well, we are supposed to be having fun, aren't we???

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel

You sound like the perfect candidate for the Dover Publications

"Cut and Assemble" series - about $8 for a book printed in color on cardstock that makes up about 10 structures on several themes - main street, Greenfield Village, New England seaport, etc.

Reply to
Geezer

Seeing the Paper Creek models in person did encourage me to give it a try myself. There is a nice old weathered barn 10-15 miles from where I live, and I've photographed it a few times in the past. I made another trip and took some full sided shots with my digital camera. Two of the most interesting sides were in full sunlight, the other two were obviously in the shade.

I printed the shots of the two good sides - one end and one side - on some heavier parchment like computer paper. I used this as I thought white paper would make the lighter areas too bright. I printed two of each end/side, and glued them to some photo matte board. I then assembled them into a barn, using large pieces of stripwood to reinforce the corners. Since you cannot see both sides and ends at one time, its not too obvious that they are duplicates.

The nicely weathered rusty metal roof was a little harder, as I could not get a full shot of the sunny side due to the angle. So I just copied half the roof image next to itself, getting the proper length. The edges of the matte board on the roof was darkened with a black felt pen to hide the white edges.

The result was quite pleasing, and quite realistic with the natural sunlight shadows, and even grass around the perimeter. I may give it a try on other structures.

A lot cheaper than $29.95!

Bob Boudreau Canada

Reply to
Railfan

Reply to
David P Harris

I'd need something that looked a little more "retail-looking." The models that were there mainly looked like houses & special theme stuff, harbor, Greenfield Village, etc. I didn't see anything that said anything like "Main Street." Or did you just use that as an example?

Thanks!

dlmn

Reply to
Dan Merkel