Camp mabry museum Texas models and AFV's

Really nice tanks, mobile artillery, artillery, trucks, machine guns...I never realized just how big a solothurn 20MM AT gun was, and also some nice armor and 1/72d aircraft models at Camp Mabry in Austin Texas. Some surprizes also, german quad 20mm AA gun, nice Hetzer, Hanomag. Worth the visit and can all be seen and savored in one day. Highly recommended. I was just there saturday and a lot more stuff and better arrangements and displays than when I was there eight years before. Very cozy arrangement....a lot of the afvs are indoors and nicely displayed, decent paint and markings. Photos are permitted. I have some low quality stuff (my camera was not that great/I have vision problems--excuses excuses :-() that I can put on the binaries if anyone is interested.

One huge 1/35th WWI diroama with and A7V included, and allied armored vehicles as well as about maybe 300-400 soldiers (US troops 36th Division overruning German trenches, if I remember correctly--had a lot of things going on that day so didn't have time to take in all the details--had some questions about the A7V camo and some, although not most of the Germans with Pickelhauben--their uniforms were more gray (reservists thrown into the line?) while the other German soldiers had non-camo'd M16 helmets and uniforms in Field Gray-green appearance which looked right). Who has the time to do this stuff? Super Alamo diorama also, especially nice quality work on the Mexican uniforms, grenadiers, fusiliers, and conscript uniforms indentified but I'm no expert.

If you are anywhere near Austin, this is a must see, well worth the trip from anywhere in Texas.

Reply to
old hoodoo

please post the pictures.

I will retrieve them and put them on the binarie site tommorrow night. Haven't even look'd at em in the camera yet.

Reply to
old hoodoo