Pitstone Museum

Not too few I hope for an event which is supposed to replace the Woburn rally. Mind you, if the turn out and standard of exhibits is as good as last year's (?) Hartop rally at the same venue, then it should be worth a visit.

Reply to
Nick H

Gentlemen, Pitstone Museum nr Tring Herts is open tomorrow and a few of us from the Beds & Bucks will have our engines out and may even run the big Crossley Gas engine and the Crossley Diesel on the Saw Bench. If you are in the area give us a look.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

In article , Campingstoveman writes

My brother Geoff and I will be taking a run over there in the Minor series MM - a good chance to give it its first reasonably-long run of the season.

Here's hoping we get some decent weather, after the Rushden quagmire.

Regards, Andrew.

Reply to
Andrew Marshall

Thank you to the stalwarts of the Beds and Bucks for putting on a good little show despite what can only be described as traditional bank holiday weather! Pitstone is a great venue and, on a suprisingly empty weekend enginewise, this is an event which could go places.

Reply to
Nick H

In article , Nick H writes

Seconded! Despite the foul weather and the 70-mile round trip (not in the MM considering the conditions!) we very much enjoyed the show. The big Crossley gas engine was marvellous to see - and hear - running (after its initial reluctance to start), as was the diesel on the other sawbench too, with the lugubrious gulping beat from its long, wide exhaust; and both the engine line, and indeed the remainder of the museum, were a pleasure to see. I took a goodly number of pictures, as the digital camera now allows without ridiculous expense, and will have pleasure in looking them over, and tidying some selected ones up, in due course.

The courtyard engine line would presumably have to move to a field if the show got much bigger; but the site certainly has great show potential.

Regards, Andrew.

Reply to
Andrew Marshall

"Andrew Marshall" wrote (snip):-

The Lister 'CS'? I stood there and listened to that one plonking away for quite a while. Was the vertical two-Stroke Crossley run at all?

There are quite a few areas around the site which could be roped off for engines (ISTR the Hartops were split into three groups), but I'm not sure that the farm still has any fields associated with it so it would probably have to remain a 'small but exclusive' event ;-)

Reply to
Nick H

In article , Nick H writes

I don't think so, though others may know differently. We left at around

1500hrs. and it may have been run after then.

No matter; we'd still come and see it. I'm sure they could find enough space for a reasonably-sized show - at least as big as the allowed area at some steam rallies, anyway...

Regards, Andrew.

Reply to
Andrew Marshall

"Andrew Marshall" wrote (snip):-

That's true, one tends to forget just how little space the engines take up compared to hot fog, classic cars etc etc.

Reply to
Nick H

But are they as interesting to Joe Public? When space is at a premium, the organisers will obviously give preference to the things that they think will pull people in at the gate. The space taken up by the actual engines may not be that much but when you allow for the associated camper vans/caravans/cars, picnic tables, awnings, etc. a little engine takes a lot of room. It's amazing how much room my lawnmower engine needs.

John

Reply to
John Manders

This is why I love my Volvo estate! It can carry at least two smaller engines, plus batteries, table, chair, awning, display boards and (frequently) A.N. Other exhibit for interests' sake.

Parked nose in, it takes up one car space and with the tailgate up, makes an ideal seat in the event of inclement weather. At a pinch, I can sleep in it with comfort.

I too have a growing number of lawnmower type engines, a T600 Norman now lurks in the garden awaiting development.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
J K Siddorn