Car-How about some NEW customizing parts packs?

Most of you probably remember the packs that Revell and I think AMT did in the early '60's . Custom interiors, bumpers, wheels/tires, etc. Even engines. Even dragster frames. I know that the engines have been re-released, but how about some more modern stuff? Like a 5.0 EFI Ford, etc, and not all chrome plated. And interior packs with new style bucket seats, steering wheels,cd players for the dash, etc. What do you guys think? russ

Reply to
Russ Osborne

From responses on other boards from people in the business, the sales of the originals parts packs were so poor that it's not even a consideration to put out modern ones. The cost of tooling, packaging, and shipping would put the prices too high as well., I'm feeling much better now.......

Reply to
Rusty12759

Rusty is absolutely on target. Custom car parts packs were tried by everyone in the business in the 60's, they looked sooo good, to modelers, and retailers alike, but guess what? Within less than a year, Revell, Aurora and AMT were dumping unsold stocks of these at closeout prices, simply because they did not sell.

Revell even tried them again in the late 1970's, for the then highly popular vans and mini-pickups, and guess what? They died big time then too.

Even Revell's SSP parts packs reissues of 1997 died, to the point that some hobby shops STILL have them. Granted, they were very old tooling, but the subject matter was still very wanted, but guys just wouldn't pay the price that had to be charged, to make them happen.

It costs just as much in production time to make a tree of these parts as it does for a tree of parts for an ordinary model kit, and the packaging costs are just as high as well, but the sales just didn't come.

Don't look for anyone to do this sort of parts pack again anytime soon, I just don't see it happening.

Art Anderson

Reply to
EmilA1944

Not even for small scale production (resin/vacuform/photoetch/whatever)?

Reply to
Harro de Jong

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (EmilA1944) wrote in :

They are? I've tried to find some, but haven't found any yet (at least, no supplier like Hannants is for aircraft kits).

Reply to
Harro de Jong

I was hoping for online sources, but if that's what it takes...

Reply to
Harro de Jong

Try some of the links here:

Al Superczynski

What exactly are you looking for, Harro? Maybe I can give you some links. There's a ton of stuff online.

Reply to
Charles Fox

snipped-for-privacy@gte.net (Charles Fox) wrote in :

Another poster pointed me to this site:

which contains some useful links.

I'm planning to build a 1:24 tractor puller. I'll need wheels (a set of monster truck wheels might also be usable) and engine accessories (cabling, mainly).

I was also looking for things like aftermarket wheels, NOS bottles etc. for "tuning" a 1:24 car.

Most of this I've already seen in the pages linked from the Modeltech page, the tractor wheels are the big remaining item.

Reply to
Harro de Jong

Try these:

Mad Mike

They are? I've tried to find some, but haven't found any yet (at least, no supplier like Hannants is for aircraft kits).

-- Harro de Jong

Reply to
The Pohlmans

Excellent leads. There is also a regular column in Scale Auto (ex-Enthusiast) about trucks. Can't remember the writer's name, nor the title. But pick up an old one somewhere. That should get you more leads.

Reply to
Charles Fox