Semi OT : C5 interior dimensions?

I thought I heard somewhere that the entire 12 second first Wright brothers flight could have taken place inside a C5... Is this possible?

Mike please remove "diespam" to reply

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, perhaps you've misunderstood the situation.

Reply to
MLDHOC

The dimensions of the C-5 Cargo compartment are height, 13.5 feet; width, 19 feet; length, 143 feet, 9 in (43.8 meters).

The first flight was 120 feet in length. I don't know if the altitude was ever recorded, but I've seen an estimate that the last flight of the day only reached 10 feet in altitude. I've also heard that the 1903 flyer hangs higher in the Milestones of Flight Gallery in the NASM than it ever flew.

So yes, I think that the first flight of the 1903 flyer could have happened inside a C-5. The subsequent flights were too long though.

Reply to
Rick DeNatale

The length of the Galaxy's cargo compartment is 143 feet, 9 inches; by comparison, the distance covered by the Wright Brothers' first flight was a mere 120 feet.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

: So yes, I think that the first flight of the 1903 flyer could have : happened inside a C-5. The subsequent flights were too long though.

What a great diorama idea! I'll have to remember it for when I find and build that injection-moulded C-5 with working retractable landing gear :)

Reply to
Ruediger LANDMANN

Well, actually it could not have made its flight inside a C-5 as its wingspan's wider than the C-5s fuselage! :)

Reply to
Frank May

Thanks, That's what I thought.

I knew the length was ok, but wondered about the width of the flier and the width of the interior of the fuselage.

And no, this was not an attempt to start up a 1/72 C5 w working landing gear thread...

Mike please remove "diespam" to reply

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, perhaps you've misunderstood the situation.

Reply to
MLDHOC

FYI:

I once toured the inside of a C-5A at Westover AFB in Springfield, Mass. The Loadmaster took me up into the passenger cabin above the main cargo deck behind the wing. There were a couple of circular domed hatches about 18" in diameter located on the aft bulkhead. He went over and pushed one of the spring-loaded doors open and told me to look inside. The view I got was of the empty space in the C-5's tail cone sandwiched between the upward-folding rear cargo door and the vertical tail. This was a huge empty space with some equipment boxes mounted here and there and a single ladder mounted on the "floor" that went up into the vertical tail structure. The loadmaster asked me "How big do you think that space is in there?". I had to say I had no idea but it was a lot. He then proudly told me, "There is more EMPTY SPACE in there than the USEABLE CARGO SPACE in a C-130!". Now that's a BIG AIRPLANE!

Martin

Reply to
Martin Sagara

Good thing you didn't try it. The OH-6's rotor is wider than the C-5 fuselage!

Reply to
Frank May

Ahhh....details, details, details.... ;~)

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat"

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Only once if they did. It's 19 feet and the 6 is 26 feet at the rotor. But it seems possible to look at it. But that pesky ladder at the front.....

Reply to
HMills16