Cheap mini-lathe for modelling

Right after I told someone there was no such thing at Harbor Freight, here comes a paper with one in it. Has anyone used one of these that
might care to comment on it?
Its a model 3173, the link I posted was for their search page - duhhhhh.
Grandpa <jsdebooATcomcast.net> wrote:

Yup. Crap. Or, to say it mildly, what you get is what you paid. No less, no more. It's ok for wooden parts, but dont even think about working on metal. There's too much free play between parts and the best repetitive precision is around .2-.3 mm.
If you want to get an idea of how a decent mini-lathe looks, take a look at http://www.rc-machines.com (follow "Drehbnke", then select model RC218).
--
-sdg

"Un gromono, mon royaume pour un gromono!"

Alternately (if you're on the North American side of the Atlantic), you can check out the Taig nminiature lathe available through Lee Valley Tools. Note that the "base" lathe doesn't include a motor.
<http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?SID=&ccurrency=2&pageC103&category=1,330>
(That page shows prices in $US - if you want $CDN, change "ccurrency=2" to "ccurrency=1".)
--
Rob Kelk Personal address: robkelk -at- jksrv -dot- com
Any opinions here are mine, not the Government's.