curtis nc1

is there a kit of it out there? hopefully not vac or unbuildable.

There has never been a kit of the NC series in any medium. I wish there were one also. Additionally, there were slight variations in the engine arrangement of these aircraft. NC-1 had three tractor engines, NC-2 had 4 engines in two tandem pairs - one tractor and one pusher each. NC-3 and NC-4 went back to the original three tractor configuration with the 4th engine in tandem as a pusher on the centerline. NC-5 and NC-6 were also tri-motor configurations but the center engine was a pusher. NC-7 through 10 were the same as 3 and 4.

Only the NC-4 survives and is in the National Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola FL.

Cleveland Model Designs (yeah, they are still in business) has plans for the NC-4 and I saw a writeup of a scratch built model in 1/72 scale some years ago in FineScale Modeler.

A great book on these planes and the first flight across the Atlantic is "First Across" published by the Naval Institue Press (no longer in their catalog).

Reply to
John

from the variations and publications, it sounds like animportant aircraft. in a logical world, there would be a kit with at least three possible variations. but we need yet another 1901095147spitcane. in 5 scales.

Hey, how many ~years~ did we have to go before we got WWI aircraft other than the old Aurora renderings? I built a nice selection of First War aircraft by doing a ~lot~ of serious bashing! Care for a Foller V.23? Get a D.VII and start carving.... And yet the 1901095147spitcanes kept coming out, even then.

Reply to
The Old Man

lets see, when i was a kid there were camels and tripes.... and only one tripe at that.

Well, the old Hawk SPAD and Nieuport predated the Aurora offerings. And have been available, off and on, continually seen their first issue in, what, 1954?

And the first Merit 1/48th stuff and the Revell 1/27th scale SPAD and Fokker came out within a year or so of the first issues of the Aurora WWI series.

'Course the Merit stuff was mostly copies of the first six Aurora issues but the Avro 504 was, I think, out by 1957 and that particular molding was original with Merit.

Cheers and all,

Reply to
Bill Shatzer

The National Air and Space Museum offers a one sheet technical drawing of NC-4 18"x24" for $2.10.

Air Age Media has an excellent multi sheet set of drawings (by Willis Nye) 24" x 32" for $24.95

jegan

I have been following this thread because I am about to start on an NC-4. I had bought four resin engines for the project. I misplaced them, and recently found them, so the NC-4 goes on the bench as soon as I finish my current project. Yes, it will be a scratch project.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

snipped-for-privacy@thenospamriver.com wrote: .

The Nye drawings are the basis for the Nancy I am about to start.

Reply to
Don Stauffer