Decals for Italeri 1/72 T-45 too big?

I applied the kit decals to the Italeri 1/72 T-45 kit last night. I had trouble applying the decals as the decals seem larger relative to the airframe than shown on the colour illustration. This meant that the decals did not fit where indicated on the colour illustration. This was particularly true of the national insignia.

I studied some picture of a T-45 (including some of the actual plane that the kit supplies decals for) and the kit decals do appear (at least to me) to be too big relative to the airframe. I know that the Italeri kit is based on a pre-production plane and the production planes were quite different. Would the markings for the production plane have been different? Are the kit decals too big relative to the airframe or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

TIA Ultan Rooney

Reply to
Ultan Rooney