decanting spray paint for airbrush

Reply to
Digital_Cowboy

It was done outside, with the oldest work clothes I had (translation: the ones that SWMBO has begged me to throw out), rubber gloves and work goggles. As an added safety precaution, I wrapped the can in an old dish towel (I'm thinking shrapnel here). I made the initial cut with a hacksaw to break the skin and after the pressure equalized, opened it up a little further with an old flat screwdriver (as opposed to a Phillips), unwrapped the can and poured the paint into the jar through an old sieve (in case there were any bits of can in the mix - there weren't). I saved about three ounces of Stainless Steel Metallizer by doing this. Not bad for really old paint that MJ's had around since Nixon was still president, I think. Seriously the key for this task is CAUTION. I have heard horror stories that if done wrong, that can could pop like a hand grenade. No power tools or generating heat or sparks, or the propellant could ignite. Take your time and you'll be rescuing a fair amount of paint.

The Old Timer
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy

Some of you guys are nuts, and you are really scaring me now! :-)

I would NEVER attempt or recommend opening a fully presurized spray can!!

The risk involved is not even remotely worth the price of the paint recovered!

Only way I ever rip open cans is AFTER depressurizing them by spraying them upside down until all the gas is gone.

I want to keep on building models, not be mamed for life!

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.