Sabotage at Nationals?

Normally, rumors don't get my engine running, but this is a little different, since it implies a need to consider security for models at contests. Stated briefly, I have heard (at least second- and maybe third-hand) that a contestant was accused of trying to damage models competing in the same category as one of his entries, by means of dripping CA glue on them.

Is there any truth to this? And if so, what were the particulars?

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.west.earthlink.net, Mark Schynert bitched and moaned:

Well, some guy got kicked out of the Brisbane Exhibition for injecting something into the udders of his heffers, so I would say there would be a level of truth to it.

"Mark Schynert" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.west.earthlink.net...

It may be true. But the CA dripping trick seems unlikely to me, too conspicuous. What I would do is hold the model as if I'm admiring it. Then as soon as everyone's attention is drawn from the model give it a quick little twist so that "unfilled seams" start to appear. The hard part is to keep the noise down.

Reply to
Bassie Adriaensen

keep the noise down.

You hold my model (and are not a judge) and you shall receive swollen testicles! Picking up the models at a show is a No-No!

I leave enough open seams to eliminate the need to pick up the model.

Rick

Reply to
OXMORON1

Yeah thats right. No one should pick up a model except a judge, During judging. Real world though is you cannot be standing next to your display model at all times. So the chances a grabbing a hand full of a-hole testicle is probably slim to none! You did go to the Nats to enjoy other activities, correct? Hell even eating, sleeping, bathroom breaks and vendor room recon means you will be away from your prize winner for periods at a time. I have been next to A-holes at contests who have to, at the very least see if a freakin prop will spin! Then there are guys who are familiar with a particular kits flaws and have to point out their knowledge to a buddy by touching the model where the said flaw was on the kit. I have never seen it happen but I always see guys with camera equiptment slung around there necks lean far over a table with a big freakin 35mm or bag dangling centimeters above other models. I always picture in my minds eye the amatuer photog dropping his camera, or a bag shifting to take out 3 or 4 prize display models. The age of digital photography has made cameras smaller and removed the need to carry a ton of equiptment. I still wait to see someone drop a camera into a display though.

There are enough things that can happen to a model on display. Having to worry about sabotage should Not be one of them on that list.

Cheers, Max Bryant

Reply to
Max Bryant
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy

Precisely why permanent attachment to a base should be a *requirement* at shows and exhibitions (as well as being common sense...).

After all, if you were to come into posession of "The Mona Lisa", you wouldn't just thumb-tack it to the wall....you would put a *lot* of thought into a decorative, appropriate, frame.

:o)

Reply to
Greg Heilers
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy

Digital Cowboy asked:

Display cases for all the models at a National is cost prohibitive. Many of the models are there at least a day before the contest judging. Moving the public access back would almost double the amount of floorspace required for a show. Plus some idiot is going to cross the line. John Q Public has a high percentage of clods and horse's posteriors. Permanent attachment to a base would work to some extent, except for the cretin who picks up the display, including base, by the extremities of the model. Judging at the time of entry would prevent damage by viewers before judging, but would not prevent bystander damage at a later time (IIRC this is how AMPS does it, but it won't work under IPMS proceedures).

Contests are so much fun! Rick

Reply to
OXMORON1

Aren't a lot of the European shows run this way-with locked display cases for all entrants?

Steve H

Digital_Cowboy wrote:

Reply to
snh9728

Hi Steve,

Not the UK Nats though quite a few do place them in cabinets, particlularly ships but thats probably to keep them dust-free and remove any chance on taking it apart while dusting/hoovering.

Also, a few years agao at the UK Nats a foreigner was quite happily after the judging had been completed to go around lifting class winners and those he liked into better poses for pictures, I told him not to do so and he did stop, but I was using camcorder so never kept an eye on him.

Did annoy me as its bad enough it happening on club stands with youngsters who think they are just dinky toys to play with.

Cheers, Stephen

Reply to
SL

D Cowboy noted:

Good suggestion, but it won't happen. Also display cases would increase the area of table space required. The reflection off the plexiglass will light the entire room, screwup all the other photographer's exposure readings, cause flash blindness, lead tolawsuits........... And some idiot will still pickup a display case and drop it Besides, who wants to put a styrene "Mona Lisa" behind plexiglass :-)

Rick

Reply to
OXMORON1

I've never been to one of these things...but if some one outside of a judge picked my entry up...I would be hard eye balling him/her...with their destruction aforemost in the front of my iddy bitty mind. I would keep my entry in a glass or plastic case with " Hands Off" signs clearly displayed all round. Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy

Hell, I did that and they started calling me "Doctor."

Andy

Reply to
Andyroo111

That'll show 'em!

Bill Banaszak, MFE ;)

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I believe the Australian Nationals are/were held at a venue that had such cases. My fuzzy memory tells me that there was a fire or other calamity there a few years ago (not during a show).

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I used to display at the local hobby show and even with signs and a clear partition in front of them some models did get touched/moved. Fortunately I never had anything damaged but some theft did occur to others' displays.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Actually, speaking as one who has had a number of pictures professionally far

Reply to
Edwin Ross Quantrall

I've just returned from the Nats and heard nothing about sabotage although there's always a few models damaged during moving or judging. Putting 2000 models in display cases is out of the question. Most Nats I've been to have signs every three feet that say "don't touch" in clever language and a security guard watching. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper