Sabotage at Nationals?

DAMMIT!!! I *HATE* it when that happens!!! Let's try again:

Actually, speaking as one who has had a number of pictures professionally framed, I think that the *opposite* is true -- the matte and frame should be as *unobtrusive* as possible so that the viewer's attention is drawn to the picture.

Reply to
Edwin Ross Quantrall

Actually, my using the terms "decorative", and "appropriate", did not mean "obtrusive". You would use a "simple" frame, of course, but not, for example, a modern, bright green, frame; on a classic painting. The overall point nevertheless: One would *not* "thumb-tack" that painting to the wall. By the same reasoning, one should not simply place a bare model on the table.

:o)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

That's rediculous. I could see how someone might possinle try to inconspicuousely bump the table in the hope of knocking an aircraft off a particularly spindly undercarriage or knock underwing stores loose. I could even envision possibly trying to drip secreted glue (or water or aome other substance) on a model's finish.

However, I can't imagine any (particularly any IPMS-sanctioned) contest where spectators and/or competiting modelers would be allowed to strut around handling other exhibitors' models on the contest table. The only ones allowed to handle a contest model are the judges and they can't have a model in that category. If one touches my model and they're not an officially-sanctioned judge in that category, they are ion for some trouble, I think.

My home page:

" In walks the village idiot and his face is all aglow; he's been up all night listening to Mohammad's radio" W. Zevon

Reply to
Bill Woodier

That presupposes that some numbskull who thinks it's OK to handle someine else's model is actually smart enough to read. ;~).

My home page:

" In walks the village idiot and his face is all aglow; he's been up all night listening to Mohammad's radio" W. Zevon

Reply to
Bill Woodier

I still can't understand the pleasure someone could derive from stealing someone else's handiwork.

My home page:

" In walks the village idiot and his face is all aglow; he's been up all night listening to Mohammad's radio" W. Zevon

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Well, as usual, you guys have taken a simple (but serious) item and gone to the moon with it.

The statement as I got it Thursday night was that the alleged culprit had simply dabbed two small blobs of Super glue on the boots or ground of a figure diorama.

He did not pick up the model, handle it in any way or draw undue attention to himself in any way. I had also been told by other members of the entrant's home group that he had not used any super glue in the building of this dio.

Similar things have happened at previous model shows/conventions and I would expect they will happen again in the future. To me it does not reflect poorly on the show staff as apparently they did catch or at least observe this occurrence.

Everyone should understand that when they lift their masterpiece off the shelf at home and transport it to anyplace else, especially half way across the country, they subject it to a whole bunch of unknown hazards. I have seen some absolute catastrophes over the years and for the most part everyone managed to survive.

I guess the worst might have been one of our local builders being hurried to vacate the display area so the staff could set up for something else. He had 40+ models carefully packed when the swinging doors hit the side of the dolly they were on. All went sprawling/splattering across the entryway. Last I heard he was still piecing some of them back together. The staff seemed to have a typical "Oh well" attitude about it.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Filer

'kay, gotcha!

Reply to
Edwin Ross Quantrall

If you want to help assure that no one handles your fine creations use the "do not touch " sign along side a "price tag" for that model reading ....say $3,000 $5,000 $22,000 I have tried it -- it works.

Frog

Reply to
FROGofOKC
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy

Yes, one contestant, who shall remained unnamed, Mike something or other, was acutally caught by the model builder, placing CA on the shoes/boots of some of the civil war soldiers in his "Split Rail Fence" vignette. This was told to me by the builder at the awards ceremony. He yanked off the offenders name tag and reported him to the contest officials. They decided that since there was no other witness to this offense to have the judges ignore the clue, sorry glue, on the shoes/boots, but did nothing to punish the offender. The offender won first in his class and the victim won first in his class.

Not the way I would have handled it. Now we will have to watch this guy at other contests.

Other than this, it was a great show.

Cheers,

Ken Lawrence

Reply to
KLawr63125

Well there seems to be only two Mikes that placed 1st, one in Autos and one in... Dioramas. ;-)

The "Behind the Split Rail Fence" entry is awesome. Looks like this Mike had good taste in what to trash. Small consolation though for possessing an

**alleged** major character flaw.

WmB

WmB

Way to go Sherlock!!!! Ray Lloyd IPMS#36878 FREMONT HORNETS "If the enemy is in range, so are you"

Reply to
QUIKBRD

Rest snipped.

Oops. Sorry that I didn't read on before posting.

Any idea where "Mike" was from?

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

I dunno... If this 'Mike' is the one that's being in-a-round-about-way identified, he's a previous winner at the Nats and a very-well accomplished modeler. I can understand why the brass might have looked the other way as there wasn't another witness for corroboration, if he's the same 'Mike', but... His reputation notwithstanding, if it were proven or otherwise upheld that he perpetrated such a deed, we'll definately have to keep an eye open for him. Sad events, indeed.

Frank Kranick

Maiesm72 wrote:

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

I've known Mike for a long time, and he has no reason to cheat. I find all this very hard to believe.... I have heard absolutely nothing from IPMS about this incident, wonder why?

Kelly Quirk President IPMS/West Central Missouri Show Me State Modelers

Show Me State Scale Model Show Saturday September 18, 2004 Kansas City, Missouri Ask me for details!

Reply to
Kelly Quirk

I've seen his handiwork and agree, he has no reason to cheat.

IPMS about

I'm curious as well - nothing on the Nats website. You'd think if it had merit, there'd be some mention of it or a reiteration of rules, what not to do, etc. Right now, it's weresay and not worth much, other than to remind 'security' to be on their guard.

Frank Kranick

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

I'm not surprised at all. Since there was only one witness and it was the victim modeler, I suppose the IPMS leadership took the same approach a court of law would have taken and "dismissed the charges for lack of concrete and unrefutable proof." If they did that, to further identify the individual (whom I do not know, by the way) and presuppose some sort of wrong-doing might open them to a lawsuit.