Dragon T34/76?

Just saw a photo of this in the new FSM. Is it any good? How does it compare to similar kits from other manufacturers?

Reply to
Ksu93dlv

Brian Francis

I've built two of them, and they are good. The only thing to consider when building them is to make sure the racks for the gas cans on the right side are aligned properly: i.e.: the front rack to the front of the slots, the rear ones to the back. Otherwise, you'll be grinding away to make the fuel cans sit right.

Other than that, it's a fine kit (although I'd rather use Modelkasten track)

Reply to
Allan K. Lindsay-O'Neal

Huh? I looked at one of the Model 1940s about three weeks ago and there were no gas can racks on it. It carried the four 33.5 liter rectangular tanks, and they cemented directly to the hull and the holddown straps cemented right on top of them.

Cookie Sewell AMPS

Reply to
AMPSOne

GAAAHHH!!! You do like insanity, although the T-34 sets aren't too bad. The DML tracks are fine for me, sans a couple ejector pin marks on the insides. If I had to use any current aftermarket for it, it'd be Fruilmodellismo(sp), simply because those are MUCH easier to assemble than a ModelKasten set, and sag naturally thanks to the weight. The Maquette sets are cheap ($5 U.S.), but there can be some nasty, deep ejector pin marks on them at times.

It seems we're finally getting good inexpensive aftermarket tracks sets for '34 though. RHPS will be releasing T-34 track sets soon, though, and Fruil and Modelkasten are gonna have some healthy competition. Personally wish DML would do what AFV Club does ala the M3A3 and SDKFZ

251 (I think); release the wheel and track sets from their T-34's separately. My stack of Italeri T-34-76 Model 1942's and 1943's could use some waffle style and the earlier style tracks, and I don't want to mortgage the house buying Fruil or MK all the time. Then again if that's my only serious problem in life...
Reply to
Steve

Yeh - those were the "early" box style fuel container on the Model 40. After that, starting with the Zavod 112 modifications, the cylindrical ones came into use.

What's exciting is that all these different types of T34 are showing up, starting with Tamiya's ChTz and "hard edge" turrets for the Model 43 series.

Reply to
Allan K. Lindsay-O'Neal

Be careful -- the ChTZ turret is not bad, but the Model 1942 (Tamiya's "Model

1943") turret is awful: gun too low in the mantelet, and back of the turret about a foot too wide.

Go with the DML Model 1942 turret -- it's accurate.

Cookie Sewell AMPS

Reply to
AMPSOne

Tamiya sometimes has a problem with getting it right. Some years ago, the Ace Hardware hobby shop up in Berkeley had a manager who was fond of making his own "specials", and the one I got was the Tamiya Panther Model A with an after-market resin turret (and I wish I could remember whose it was, they're an outfit in Connecticut), Eduard brass detail parts, a turned metal barrel, and ModelKasten track.

That kit kept me busy for a year.

Reply to
Allan K. Lindsay-O'Neal