ealry '80s B-1 desert camo colors/scheme?

I was thinking about this scheme recently. Seems like I used to see pics of this all over, & now I didn't even find anything on Google. Maybe I just didn't Google for the right thing. :) Anyway, anyone have the pattern & what the FS colors were? Thanks.

Reply to
frank

eyeball

Theres a picture of it at this site.

like one of the older kits had this scheme as a option, but don't remember if it was the Monogram 1/72 or Revell 1/48.

Mike

Reply to
MQM107

The Desert Scheme was applied to B-1A #4. Initially, the aircraft has a black radome, but the radome was later repained in camo to match the rest of the aircraft. It was a painting option in the original release of the Revell 1/48 B-1 kit, however that kit is an actual B-1B, and had some significant differences from the B-1As, plus #s 3 and 4 were also different from the other B-1As in having a spine fairing for the Crosseye ECM system.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

Actually it was both the Number 3 and 4 B-1As that were painted in the desert sceme. #3 had the black radome, #4's radome was camouflaged, and AFAIK never black while this aircraft wore the desert camouflage. I photographed both aircraft in desert camouflage (plus the #2 bird in all-white) in the B-1 Combined Test Force hangar at Edwards in 1982. #1 was in a different hangar that day, and we weren't able to photograph it. Scott Wilson

Reply to
avnav526

I was sorta thinking the MPC kit had it & I'm almost sure the Lindberg kit had it. I couldn't remember if it was an A or a B that was camo'd tho.

Reply to
frank

Now that you mention it,I seem to recall doing the MPC kit in that scheme,back in the day.And the Lindberg 1/144 kit has an approximation of it too.

Reply to
eyeball

FWIW: B-1A Prototype No. 3 can be seen on display at the Wings Over The Rockies Air and Space Museum in Denver, Colorado located on the former Lowry AFB. No. 3 was trucked disassembled to Lowry in the mid-80's still wearing the desert camouflage. It was used as a B-1 weapons loading trainer at the Lowry tech school and was also repainted in the first standard operational camouflage scheme which it wears today. More information about the museum can be found at:

Martin

Reply to
The Collector

I believe the colors are FS 30140, 20400, & 34079 over white.

Brian

Reply to
Kurgan5841

Both #3 and #4 B-1A's (74-0160 and 74-0174) were painted in a four-color camo pattern. using the following::

FS 30140 (Brown) FS 20400 (Tan) FS 34079 (Green) FS 36622 (Light Gray)

They also had an elongated dorsal spine installed during ECM testing.

Reply to
verne foss