EBay Concerns

Ebay screws everyone - look at paypal fees!

Reply to
Martin

Lets say two items one is £2 postage the other £5 postage

Also £2 Postage item is at £10 and £5 postage is at £5 - which do you buy?

I total it all up and use that, I treat P & P as part of the price

Reply to
Martin

Always wondered what exactly am I paying for as the cost of the item (assuming the seller didn't build it from scratch), if not for the seller's handling of the item. I'd love to tell one of them I'll skip the handling please, and just charge me for the item and the shipping. Reminds me of the ticket places here that charge a buck above the price of the ticket as a service fee. Gee, I thought the whole ticket was a service.

Well, that's another kettle of worms; the sellers who insist that it's being shipped at my risk and I better insure it or else they're not responsible. The law disagrees.

Leave us not forget the seller who insists on a money order or cashiers check for a $5 item. "No personal checks or Paypal, don't even ask!" Yeah, that's going to attract my business.

Which law?

Reply to
Al Superczynski

No seller is forced to use PayPal...

Reply to
Al Superczynski

"Martin" wrote in news:di2uut$17e$3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk:

Exactly, it really has to be the total cost to get your item to your house. 'Cause that is what it cost you.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Bingo!!!!

Reply to
rwsmithjr

Al Superczynski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Frankly I don't know aht all the bitching is about.

Do buyers want to pay Bidpay's fee?

Do buyers want to write a check that will take 10 days to clear, after it gets there?

Do buyers have time to run out to buy a MO every time they need one? Cost of your time + MO fee.

Do sellers like waiting for thier money?

Do sellers like sitting on checks for 10 days for them to clear.

Do buyers not like the security of being able to get a refund if there is a problem? Try that with Bidpay, I have. Yes I got my money but what a PITA.

Do buyers and sellers not like that if shipping is stated or a calculator is available on the item that the buyer can pay for it the minute it's "won".

Do buyers and sellers not like that adjustments can be made quickly if there is a need?

Someone had this neat idea that you could have auctions on the net giving sellers a vastly larger audience than they would normally have and buyers access to items they may otherwise never see at generally market prices with great, good and not so good deals. Then someone else had the idea to let people pay quickly and conveniently over the internet with a CC or a bank account.

What bastards these guys were!!!!! What horrible human beings. Why they had a great idea, invested time and capital into it and made it successful. What a blankity-blank nerve those guys had!!!!

Oh and by the way, they'd like some compensation for thier idea, effort and infrastrcture. Get over it people, things are only free until your parents start making you do chores for money or other tangible rewards. Do folks execpt that there will be no fees? Yeah, that business would last about a week. Paypal ain't a charity or a not for profit. They actually provide a service very smoothly 99.999% of the time.

Geez people get over yourselves.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

[snip]

We may not agree on politics, but you got it right on this one.

E.P.

Reply to
gcmschemist

Yep. Guess they never heard of TANSTAAFL...

Reply to
Al Superczynski

The alternative is?

Reply to
Martin

Do without, and kwityerbitchin'

RobG

Reply to
RobG

grey snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Gray Ghost) wrote in news:Xns96E84C8B874AWereofftoseethewizrd@216.196.97.136:

AMEN!!

That's what its all about! You hit the nail on its head.

Cheers, Dennis

Reply to
me-me

We choose to use Paypal for the payments systems on all threee ofour web sites. Their transaction fees are comparable to HSBC, they don't charge any set up fees and they don't charge a monthly minimum fee. Also, in comparison to both HSBC and WorldPay, Paypal was a doddle to set up.

Our customers now have the option of paying using the standard credit cards or their Paypal accounts. We find nearly 75% choose to pay with Paypal.

Paypal's remittance system works well as well.

The alternative in EBaying is some of the less well know systems such as Nochex here in the UK but there are only so many of these you can join. I think that you shouldn't sell on Ebay unless you can factor the fees into the deal to m ake a profit. Going for the easy option of over the top postage and handling just brings the whole thing into disrepute.

David

Reply to
dnews

Western Union, money order, cashier's check.

Reply to
rwsmithjr

" snipped-for-privacy@rcn.com" wrote in news:drCdncVPWJSLE9venZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@rcn.net:

An American buyer of one of my auctions sent me a Western Union Money transfer for the amount of some $23. Total costs to get the check cashed over here in the Netherlands would've been close to $30.

Transferring money to a foreign bank account could set you back some $10 per transaction.

So no more checks or money orders/transfers for me.

My Favorite: Intenational payments through PayPal.

I also have sent and received cash money, well packed in a sturdy envelope more than several times with NO problem what so ever.

just my $0.02

Dennis

Reply to
me-me

Here banks charge $10-40 per item to process international money orders but Western Union pay cash on the spot with no fee to the person receiving the money.

Too many scams related to Paypal.

Cash always works but the risk is on the buyer's end. I've had a few guys send cash no problems so far.

Reply to
rwsmithjr

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Why thank you young man.