EBay Concerns

Al Superczynski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I should know this but I'll bite- TANSTAAFL?

Reply to
Gray Ghost

"me-me" wrote in news:Xns96E8ECA36FAFmemehotmailcom@213.75.12.135:

Yes that is another thing, foreign sales. I doubt I would be trusting enough to send any form of payment throught the mail, aside from the conversion fees, et al.

I've bought direct from Japan, Hong Kong and (admittedly nervously) Thailand with PayPal. England and I think the Netherlands, too, a while ago. No muss, no fiss, they handled the currency conversions, I paid in dollars and the sellers get paid in thier own currency. Pretty cool.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gray Ghost"

~snippage~

TANSTAAFL.

There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

All kudos & thanks go to the greatest, most intelligent & most talented author the human race has ever produced. ;)

Robert Anson Heinlein

-Kevin - just tryin to help

Reply to
Kevin M. Vernon

" snipped-for-privacy@rcn.com" wrote in news:drCdncVPWJSLE9venZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@rcn.net:

I just checked on Western Union as an alternative to BidPay and found thier fees even higher. MOs and CC cost you something to buy them and time if you buy it in person, admittedly Bidpay is almost as easy as Paypal. But I've had problems with Bidpay lately. The MOs seem to take a long time in transit, 10 days lately, and the "WE DON'T TAKE PAYPAL" types seem uninterested in telling you that they have got an email confirmation from BidPay and when they get it, depsite politely asking them to do so so you know what progress is. The Paypal types almost always send an acknowledgement.

If you want to do that fine but then you're paying them a fee. Which you have to add to the cost and shipping. So why doesn't anyone bitch about those extortinate fees?

Again it ain't free, you pay something somewhere.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

"Kevin M. Vernon" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

most talented

Thank you very much. MI leads the way.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

$0.85 for a USPS money order is hardly extortionate.......

Reply to
rwsmithjr

Are you saying that PayPal is not a tool of the Neocons perpitrated by the Bush Administration to trickfully force people into a National Information Registry that takes away all their rights while the fees go to fund a pipeline across Afghanistan to fill his own pockets which is why he had the WTC bombed so he could start a war and accomplish all of that? Boy, you must be naive, har-har. So where are the WMDs, Einstein?

-Bill

Reply to
Bill

Driving to town, finding parking and standing in line for 20 minutes...waiting a few days for the mail to arrive...then the seller has to repeat the same schtick to cash the USPS MO isn't extortionate, only inconvenient.

Why a seller would insist on that type of transaction as opposed to a few key clicks for instant transmittal and receival is beyond me. Sounds more like a medieval method of walking miles on a Saturday to trade goats for fresh eggs rather than 2005.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill

Any other form of payment that's acceptable to both the buyer and seller.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I have two post offices within 1 mile of my house. One of them is the oldest post office in the USA :)

Hmmmm, for the seller, I dont know. For the buyer, if you send a postal MO to someone in the USA, and they defraud you, you can get the PO to go after them. (mail fraud)

AM

Reply to
AM

If they defraud you on a 'fresh eggs' deal you still have the local cops that can deal with it. There's probably a point to be made here. Is the desired payment method solely chosen to provide convenient resources to protect against the rare case of fraud by either party at the expense of convenience to everybody else? Looks like it.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill

Oh gee....actual minimal effort required. As for cashing it, duh Sherlock since the package is usually mailed....nevermind you're probably too stupid to figure that out.

And why would someone who only sells online a few times per year if that much want to dick around with an online creditcard pay system? Of course you probably think that because I refuse to have a creditcard I'm some kind of cave dwelling troll.....not everyone needs that kind of credit, I have enough cash thanks.

Reply to
rwsmithjr

Since there is no current presidential race they have to whine about something Al.....

Reply to
rwsmithjr

In my case that's half of it, the other half is I don't sell online often enough to warrant the "convenient" methods.

Reply to
rwsmithjr

Thats classic coming from a paragon of social dysfunction. Try Charm School, Junior.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill

" snipped-for-privacy@rcn.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rcn.net:

extortionate,

Hellooooo RW Smith!!

We're not here to call each other stupid, we're here (on r.m.s.) to talk about our hobby, what keeps us, why we go, what we like and/or dislike and accept each others opinion. Sometimes OT, the most of the time not.

If the other one doesn't understand (or you think he/she doesn't) you explain it (again, and maybe again) if that fails, you can always just stop the conversation and pull out.

Why would YOU think that WE think you probably live in a cave somewhere behind Pig's Knuckle, Arkansas? I don't get that! Your choice not to have a card.

A credit card is not especially for having credit. I have one just for the sheer ease in paying it brings along.

And I may add that I didn't have my paypal account related to my credit card, just a bank account. which you probably also have with your "cash enough"

While we're at it; I have cash enough too.

Cheers,

Dennis

Reply to
me-me

" snipped-for-privacy@rcn.com" wrote in news:4uudnd7tI_0KytrenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@rcn.net:

Ah, you must have time to get to the post office to buy one. See my reply to Kurt above about available time for hobbies. I won't even let people send things signature required because my postman won't leave such an item without seeing me face to face and I have to go to the PO after the office is closed, go around to the loading dock and wait for a supervisor to get the damn thing, I don't expect he'll be amenable to selling me a MO, though.

$3.00 for a BidPay MO after spending $10 on an item and $4 for shipping is a significant percentage of the total cost. This $10 item now costs me $17. Ouch. And it goes up from there. It's convenient, yes, but I feel the cost is to high as a percentage and am seeking alternatives, not having a tantrum about it like the Paypalphobic.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

" snipped-for-privacy@rcn.com" wrote in news:H7CdnTv3cbGketreRVn- snipped-for-privacy@rcn.net:

You do know that if you have a PayPal account to pay for items you can receive payment through it, too? No special arrangement neccessary.

I've accepted Payment for a few items I've sold that way, 'bout as easy as it can be.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Bill wrote in news:4bb34$4347ea64$4232bd84$ snipped-for-privacy@COQUI.NET:

Hey leave Ron alone. He's a genuine curmudgeon. Kinda like I was before my little girl came along.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

" snipped-for-privacy@rcn.com" wrote in news:H7CdnTr3cbHietreRVn- snipped-for-privacy@rcn.net:

Ya know, we didn't hear this bemused baying last year at this time. It was something else that slips my mind right now. I believe you're right.

Reply to
Gray Ghost