EBay Concerns

Yes, Mr. Anonymous Nutless.....don't give me the typical gutless "I hate spam" line either.....have the spine and balls to use a real name and/or address.

Ever notice most of the old timers here don't much get into the "which paint/airbrush/glue is best" type of discussions? Had it crossed your mind that reptition of the same basic facts gets old real fast?

Because all the whiney brats that bitch about a seller's policies (even and especially when clearly stated) always seem to assume said seller is a cave dwelling troll because he/she won't bend to their demands for instant gratification. Typical of three year olds and teenagers. I probably shpould have left in his "medieval" comment so the light might dawn on you re:cave dweller.

Yep and also my choice to refuse to use Paypal, Bidpay or any other online payment system because the low volume of business I conduct online does NOT warrant it.

That's what debit cards do too.

No way am I letting a third party access any of my accounts. For the umpteenth time, I DO NOT do enough business online to warrant setting up a Paypal account, let alone a separate bank account to link to Paypal. These simple concepts appear to be beyond every single one of the whiney little boys that have been bitching.

That's nice.

Reply to
rwsmithjr

"Gray Ghost" wrote

Inasmuch as my name was mentioned and Frank asked what my day was like, I should add that just this morning I walked down to the P.O. to cash in a money order. It took me about 45 minutes when I could've driven in ten (and stayed out of the drizzle), but I had the time, so what the heck?

If I want to send something during the week I drive to the P.O. during my lunch (half) hour.

To me I prefer Paypal. For those Ebay sellers dead set against Paypal, I offer to send a personal check and let them wait for it to clear - I ain't usually in that big or a hurry.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

I don't buy online either, I deal with a human either on the phone or in writing and that's it.

Reply to
rwsmithjr

Just wait a year or so and they'll start up again........

Reply to
rwsmithjr

Yep, Frank went from curmudgeon to little girl's daddy right quick too...;)

Reply to
rwsmithjr

Some of us are still grounded in the 20th century and we appreciate having remuneration in a physical form before we part with the goods. Paypal to me is just vapour and nosy vapour at that.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Well, if you so very rarely sell on ebay(and nothing any of us whiney folks would buy, according to you), why bother involving yourself in a conversation discussing the business practices that are common on ebay? You're clearly not a common seller on ebay so I don't think that anyone was ever addressing his or her comments at you. My impression all along has been that people are wondering the same thing we often wonder when faced with a snooty seller(whether it be the local shoe store or ebay): what ever happened to good old fashioned customer service? I suppose that the multitude of sellers and buyers on ebay somewhat negates the need for customer service, but I will say it's never appropriate for a seller(or buyer) to send a harassing e-mail swearing at someone. And I think that the "whiners" who send a seller an e-mail asking about shipping ave ever right to. Perhaps there is some reason a seller might change policy once or work with a customer. You lose nothing by asking and it certainly shouldn't prompt a nasty response.

Reply to
Sara L.

in article snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com, Sara L. at no e-mail wrote on 10/8/05 10:12 PM:

Sara

You have encapsulated some of the very problems that I discussed at the beginning of this string. Sellers (as well as buyers) need to act with a measure of commonsense and civility. I raised issues where buyers have taken advantage by not posting accurate mailing costs or incorporating shipping and handling as a means of creating a profit, as well as the insidious practice of imposing penalties for infractions committed by the buyer. The majority of the insensitive remarks that were engendered by sellers in this forum merely confirms the impression that "caveat emptor" prevails in the EBay marketplace as the only recourse for buyers.

Although I provided some "real-life" instances of unscrupulous practices on EBay, I have been heartened recently by the actions of two individuals who had erred in the valuation of EBay auction items that were mailed to Canada. When goods are imported by mail to Canada and are valued at less than $20 Canadian, no customs duties or other charges are assessed. Any good valued higher than that is liable for additional fees to be paid by the recipient.

In each case, the seller had provided an inaccurate valuation that resulted in customs duties, excise taxes and brokerage fees being assessed. One model kit had been mistakenly identified as worth $50.00 US, although the model was won at $8.99 and had recently been available on store shelves at $20.00. The resultant penalties amounted to $28.00 which was refunded by the seller. In a similar circumstance, $8.06 was returned when the value amount was pointed out as being greatly exaggerated.

Reply to
Bill Zuk

Wow, I resemble that remark !!

I generally look on a website for a ph number, and then call them voice, and when placing order get the takers name.

I never forget coming in from a night of observing, getting on Orion Telescopes website, finding what I wanted and then calling them at 3:00 am to make an order. Surprise they had operators ready. Curious, I asked, and they said people like me call them all the time in the middle of the night, rather than use the website......

When I bought my big telescope, I went to a local store (Co. 7) and paid out $2400 in cash. Didnt faze the shop owners, but I got funny looks from the other customers.

If at all possible I prefer to deal with brick and mortar stores, one because I have a place to go with live people to talk to if there is a problem. (or to give praise to when there isnt) And two, supporting local shops, helps out all round.

I do the same with models whenever possible. I support Piper Hobby, and Granddads :)

AM

Reply to
AM

Sara L. wrote: My impression all along has

In my expirence there are more snotty buyers than sellers.

Everyone wants a deal, and think they deserve it...........

AM

Reply to
AM

LOL. I remember Kennedy on TV - I ain't so young. :)

E.P.

Reply to
gcmschemist

Reply to
rwsmithjr

Far less chance of getting ripped off....

Hard to do for some things like machine tools or lab supplies these days.

I give local hobby shops what business I can but these days I get some of my "pay" in resin or plastic for research.

Reply to
rwsmithjr

And they wonder why some people set strict rules as sellers and won't budge.....

Or they want you to setup a Paypal account just for them cuz they're "special"....so were the kids that rode the short bus.

Reply to
rwsmithjr

I'm just loving that you think I'm one of your standard-issue 'whiners'. Listen, Mr. 'Shipbuilder' (in apostrophes because I live in Manitowoc, WI, where there are *real* shipbuilders, not to mention a quite exquisite ship *modeler* by the name of Richard Young), before I ever heard of eBay, I was here - and I was selling model kits to guys who wanted them because I could get them cheap and pass them along cheap. I once picked up a Monogram 1/48 scale B52 kit from a local Big Lots for a fellow in San Francisco. Then, do you know what I did? On the only trip I've ever made to that city, *I HAND-CARRIED THE KIT AS MY CARRYON LUGGAGE* (what a PITA)! Then, I told the buyer where to meet me outside my hotel. Total cost to him for shipping: a drive across town. His cost for the kit: about $5 more than I'd paid, and far less than he could buy it anywhere else. I don't do this for profit; I do it to help fellow hobbyists - and I expect the same in return. I *do* understand you're too mercenary for that approach.

I've bought/sold/shipped models all around the world on a cyber-handshake and I've never been burned, as you *expect to be*. In fact, I even shipped a kit to a fellow in Finland (Norway? - I forget, but it was Scandinavian) who'd lost an eBay auction for an identical item. He didn't want to deal with me because he wouldn't have the 'protection' eBay offered. People not trusting my integrity piss me off, so I sent the kit to him anyway (He was a 'Mustang' memorabilia collector who wanted an unusual kit.). I told him that if it was as good as he hoped, he should pay me. We both knew there was nothing I could do about it if he didn't. He was delighted with it and he sent me cash. D'you think anybody here would trust *you* that much?

-- C.R. Krieger (The other guy with a real name)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

hehehehe. good one. i'll buy from you.

"C.R. Krieger" wrote in news:1128979487.855992.20640 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

When did Monogram releases a 1/48 scale B-52? And why wasn't I told?

Reply to
Gray Ghost

C.R., you're one of the good ones in my book.

Bill Banaszak, MFE no pseudonym here

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I figure you're a special grade of whiner.

Did I claim the appellation "shipbuilder"? No I did not, I said I build ships on commission, this being a scale model NG the inference should have been obvious to you. I gave you a wee bit too much credit for common sense.

You might ask Frank Tauss about me hand delivering a 1/32 Apollo if you want to get into a customer service pissing match. Ot ask Frank Kranick about some deals we've done over years or Al Superczinski, there were more from the NG but most have long since departed due to the usually flame wars around election times.

When I sell kits I don't make a profit, I'm lucky if I make back what I spent but then I sell kits that have been in the stash for years and probably won't get built. I DO make a profit when hired to build for others, I make half my living that way now.

I've been burned a couple times, now I set hard and strict rules that I do not bend.

Half a dozen Canadians in the past two years, 4 or 5 Brits, 2 Dutch, 2 or 3 Germans, a Pole and a couple of Americans. Any more stupid questions? When your done being "holier than thou" kindly wipe your ass, it you stink of it.....

Reply to
rwsmithjr

Good advice, thanks Bill. And I have attempted to post helpful bits on here before unbeknownst to the curmudgeon apparently. It's just that when I do, there are invariably people who think of me as "Sara dearie" and clearly believe I have no right to say anything. That, and most people on here build aircraft which I don't do....so I learn more from them than I could ever offer. I'll go back to watching the troll, as you call him, make more of an ass of himself. :-) Sara

Reply to
Sara L.