EU to ban Swastika

Hi all,

It's the first time I've read a politically sensitive thread on this newsgroup where the responses are sensible, informative and above all, humourous. Well done, everybody - keep it up.

Just wondering - does the "ban" on swastikas also cover the Finnish use of the symbol? I don't recall seeing any aircraft model kits with Finnish markings being banned, even though the symbol is identical - just blue instead of black! Just goes to show what a load of bullsh*t the whole deal is.

Sorry about starting a "new" thread - for some reason, my laptop won't retrieve the original thread when I go to post a reply.

Best regards, James.

Reply to
James Venables

Actually, I do remember seeing some box art for a Finnish aircraft (Hasegawa?) that had a blue cross vice swastika. Somewhere, I've got (IIRC) an old Revell Ju 88 or Do 17Z in 1/72nd that had some odd variation of the Finnish markings, too, I just can't remember what it was (struck by another "senior moment").

Don McIntyre Clarksville, TN

Reply to
Don McIntyre

Im sure the Hase Hurricane? boxart has it removed.

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

Indeed you do. It's hard to know where to start when listing them...

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Yes, and the Baltic country that used it as well.

Many Revell kits in the 80s had post war Finnish decals in the kit.

Don't reply to the btconnect address - and remove nospam!!

Reply to
Dave Fleming

Reply to
old hoodoo

Good question. I just had E-bay take down two of my auctions that I put up Sunday because of hakenkreuze on the tails. I'm wondering if I put up any Finnish models that I'll have the same problem.

The funny thing is I've sold quite a few Luftwaffe kits and models in the past year and they all had the no-no on them. They must have some guy grazing through the auctions looking for something to pick on and I got lucky this time. :(

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Yes. I have a Sopwith Camel with Blue Rider markings for Latvia and they're (HORRORS!!!) rotated. I've seen the new markings but I can't remember what form they take. They're probably red 7 white in colour.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Swastika was demanded to be removed from aircrafts by allied "control commission" during 1945. It was replaced with same roundel that FAF/FDF use nowadays. Swastika is still used - as it was only to be removed from aircrafts - in various objects: squad insignia, flags, badge of honors, etc.

Reply to
Sheeps United

Keep looking. I recall that the "Limited Edition" Hasegawa Hurricanes with Finnish markings had a specially designed box top, and I'm sure I've seen others.

Dave Batt

Reply to
DBatt56523

Il2 FB shows the Finnish a/c with the post continuation war roundels, not the harkiristi.

IF the Swastika/hakenkrueze gets banned, the harkairisti is probably doomed also, at least > Good question. I just had E-bay take down two of my auctions that I put

Reply to
old hoodoo

Hakaristi.

Reply to
Jouni Laukkanen

I don't know if the ban does or not, but some manufacturers modify the symbols (Hasegawa, I believe, had them as blue crosses in a kit) or just use the late/post-war roundels instead.

Reply to
EGMcCann