Re: OT? EU to ban Swastika

I always thought Germany's insistence on this to be curious but I can understand their logic, even though I don't agree with it. It's only a symbol. If "X" political party were to choose the circle as their symbol, rise to power and do terrible things, would we be reaching for the Whiteout to remove circles from geometry books? To hide something (by banning), you lose that part of your history. While not trying to keep these wounds open, there should be some leeway. I think it's more a matter of young Harry to study his history classes a bit more and for his father (incandescent with rage!?) to get a little more involved in his life... On second thought, maybe that wouldn't be such a good thing after all... ;-)

Frank Kranick

jerry 47 wrote:

In response to Prince Harry's faux pas, the EU is considering extending the > German ban on the swastika to the entire EU. Would this mean that all WWII > Luftwaffe modelers would have to cover the swastika on all models they have > already built? > Jerry 47 > >
Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

Most places in Europe proper they've been gone for years. In Berlin 25 years ago they were verboten. Kits came with them blocked with magic marker on the box art and directions and excised from decal sheets with a razor blade.

I can cite two examples of what happened when they weren't. I built the 1/32 Matchbox one and put it in the case at Spielvogel, which was one of the best hobby shops in the city at that time. I went to pick it up a few weeks later and discovered it had been "arrested" by the Polizei for the "hackenkreuze" on the tail. I was told if I wanted it back I had to go down to Precinct 54 and explain why it had those markings. Probably still there.

The other was a very expensive Liliput HO model of "Das Rheingold" 1938 and completely detailed. Alas, the locomotive and all of the cars had swastikas on them about 1mm high. The local equivalent of the JDL told the owner either it comes out of your window and goes back in its boxes or tomorrow morning you will have no "Das Rheingold" and no window.

Same thing in Belgium and the Netherlands at the time, too.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

Er, that should have read "1/32 Matchbox Bf-109E"...

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

Something I've pondered for a long time, how does the German political system deal with Hinduism? I noticed some books on the Hindu faith at my son's school, I hadn't previously realised how significant the swastika is to that faith. Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies

Reminds me of the time I was on a German aircraft jag and frequently displayed my models in my friend's hobby shop window. One day when I was trading the old batch for the latest builds he joked that the JDL might visit him some night because of them. I know he was joking but it sure put a damper on my enthusiasm for awhile.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

"> I think it's more a matter of young Harry to study his history classes

Maybe not that easy. Harry certainly doesn't look like his mother or "father". Now the mother can't deny him. On the otherhand - well you guys remeber Fred Farkle on Laugh In. Be interesting to do a DNA match and see where this idiot really came from. Then find who wants to be responsible. Maybe that's why his "father" hasn't been involved in the first place.

One has to wonder - the rest of Europe gave up their royalty - only England remains in the days of feudalism, and the idiots who would revise history get to ban one more thing in an essentially meaningless gesture. Some day a politically correct Messerschmidt will have red crosses on the wing, and be dropping underwing stores of medical supplies to survivors of some US transgression in Europe.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

Them, the Norse/Vikings, and some American Indian tribes. But then, leftist fanatics never did try to rpetend to apply logic to their "missions of mercy."

I can totally support the Germans et al having a modified form of censorship of the crooked cross in terms of using it as a political symbol, etc. However, they should (if they were slightly honest) allow obvious exceptions for things like education/historical/cultural contexts.

Reply to
SamVanga

Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands would undoubtedly be somewhat taken aback to learn that, as would the constitutional monarchs of Belgium, Denmark, Norway, Spain, and Sweden, not to mention the rulers of the Principalities of Liechtenstein and Monaco, and the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.

More likely red crescents. Crosses are so Christian, you know... :(

Reply to
Al Superczynski

"Val Kraut" wrote

Only England, eh?

Q: What do Spain, Norway, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Sweden, Monaco, Liechtenstein, Belgium, and Denmark have in common?

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

they are just being stupid,,, I've had people stare at my wartime V2 models..with comments like ."slaves and prisoners were killed building the V2".."people suffered".ect... well how many people were killed by cluster bombs?(a whole lot more) ..but I can buy a replica at walmart tomorrow.and no-one thinks twice... get over it ,that was 60 years ago,lets move on.

Reply to
spiff

in article zKlHd.8586$ snipped-for-privacy@fe10.lga, Val Kraut at snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote on 19/1/05 4:47:

Snip

What about Scotland, you know that piece of Great Brittan that supplys england with its oil and Wales the bit that supply the sheep and Northen Ireland the bit that supplies, what does the NI supply?

Reply to
Rory Manton

in article BE13BA49.3701A% snipped-for-privacy@griffon65.freeserve.co.uk, Rory Manton at snipped-for-privacy@griffon65.freeserve.co.uk wrote on 19/1/05 7:18:

Guinnes of course, stupid me.

Reply to
Rory Manton

Only problem I saw was the burning cancer stick in his hand - now this is a much bigger and worrying thing!

Reply to
Martin

Is it any wonder Harry is as "silly as a bent wheel ",just look at his predecessors .

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

Actually, just this once, I'm happy to leave this as 'England' - I'd be even happier if Scotland were rid of the Saxe-Coburgs.

Wulf

Reply to
Wulf Corbett

No thats Scotland, and Scotland reserves, although i there isnt a differance

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

bad beer.

religious intolerance and tortured poets.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (AMPSOne) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m12.aol.com:

Isn't this what the Brownshirts did to Jewish owned businesses?

Reply to
Gray Ghost

The rest of Europe skipped their royalty? Thats new to many Norwegians, Swedes, Dutch, Belgian, Spanish and Danish citizens I bet.

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen