Re: OT? EU to ban Swastika

Probably sooner, and we probably wouldn't even have had to go in on the ground. It was true *strategic* bombing that finally convinced the N. Vietnamese to participate in serious peace talks, and even then Kissinger managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory... :(

If we had done it earlier on things might have turned out much differently.

You must not have paid attention to Bush's inaugural address, not to mention other of his speeches. Bush most definitely sees a big picture, and not only in the Middle East.

I'm sure the South Vietnamese would have loved to be in the same situation as the South Koreans are in today.

It certainly couldn't have been much worse...

It began with the fatal mistake of supporting France in its attempt to re-establish its colonial control of Indo-China. We should have supported Uncle Ho before he turned to Communism. That said, once we became engaged in Viet Nam we should have prosecuted the war in earnest.

Iraq bears little similarity to the Viet Nam conflict.

WWII was pretty much of a mess for a long time, too. Most wars the US gets into are pretty much of a mess at first.

I wouldn't bet on that. We *still* have troops in Germany, Italy, Japan, and South Korea.

Iraqis are not Islamic fundamentalists; they're not Wahhabis.

lack of tolerance and

That smacks of racism. Why don't you just call them ignorant backwards 'Ay-rabs' and be done with it?

'We' aren't putting in a government - the Iraqi people are. Or are you voting in the election come Sunday?

What do you think would have happened once the UN sanctions were lifted?

Sell out to whom? The Iraqi Sunnis? Zarqawi? Iran?

No, most are Wahhabis of various nationalities.

They had severed their ties with him long *before* the 9-11 attacks.

Well, then. I suppose we'll just have to give up in despair, turn tale, and run home. Maybe the terrorists will leave us in peace then...

How much clearer than a democratic Middle East can they be? You're simply not paying attention to what Bush has been saying since his second State of the Union address.

Why? You've already pointed out that the Saudis and Pakistanis can't control terrorists within their borders. What makes you think an Iraqi dictator could?

bloodbath of purges, but that was

So, bloodbaths are okay if 'our' guy is running the show? It wasn't right when we let it happen in the past and it wouldn't be any more right if it happened in the future.

What makes you so sure the clerics will wind up in charge?

Beats me, but I thought your post merited a response...

Reply to
Al Superczynski

It might not even have taken that. An intensive strategic bombing campaign and naval blockade may well have forced them to sue for peace.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

No, as I cant wait to see what he looks, and acts like when he gets some leave at home. Cant wait :) (actually cant wait to see him at his graduation !!)

I think he really misses beer and cigarattes more than anything

Reply to
AM

Al Superczynski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Ding! Ding! Ding!

This was the most surprising thing I discovered whilst researching Vietnam and it's (more recent, ie 20th century) causes. Apparently Ho really was a nationalist at first and thought we would understand and be sympathetic.

We get f**ked whenever we get involved with the French.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Well, that much *is* a change from my BCT days. We were allowed to smoke and had limited access to 'beer tents'.

Reply to
Al Superczynski
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy

Whippersnapper. I did my BCT in 1966... ;-p

Reply to
Al Superczynski
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy

So, when they helped you in your war of independence, what were they doing?...

And when they sent you that large junk sculpture that sits on an island in a harbour somewhere, what's it called??? Oh the "Statue of Liberty". that's right. What's that all about???

Typical ungrateful monkey-boy.

Oh, and a point that seems to have been missed on the Vietnam war: The US army may not have lost a battle, but those who thought that it was a good idea to be there lost the hearts and minds of the people at home, and should be required to re-take "Media Manipulation 101"... but my real point is this: The generals who rotated conscript soldiers with no training in jungle warfare out after three months should have been charged with murder and executed (or perhaps, executed and subsequently charged with murder, it seems much simpler).

Cheers, Gary B-)

Reply to
Gary R. Schmidt

Me too. MCRD San Diego

Reply to
Bill

"They" as in King Louis XVI, were serving their own interests. King Louis was no liberal or democrat. He had his very own agenda vs. a vs. the British empire. We were a means to a hoped for end.

If I remember correctly, that was given during the "reign" of Napoleon II. Again, another bit of ,what do you call it below, the fight for "the hearts and minds of the people". The people of the U.S. in this case. He also had his problems with the British Empire.

Very intelligent comment!

Big Lyndon and company were quite too arrogant. Here we agree.

charged with murder, it seems much simpler).

Again, they were mainly interested in protecting their careers. The standard tour was for one year for a draftee, and that was just about long enough to get the hang of things. The biggest problems were still at the top, lack of definition of objectives and competent direction. To L.B.J. it was just a big computer game, and his successor was more interested in playing head games with the Chinese than really ending it. The failure was at the top, not at the bottom. The guys at the bottom were betrayed from above.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

What makes you think that combat arms soldiers were sent to Southeast Asia with no jungle warfare training? Even combat support and combat service support soldiers like me got additional training before deploying to anywhere in Southeast Asia, not just Viet Nam.

I was in the Army in the mid 60s. Were you?

Reply to
Al Superczynski
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy

were you at lost-in-the-woods? i may have made you a burger if you ever went to the davis snack bar.

I don't know what you're talking about so I guess not.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

He wants to know if you were ever stationed at Ft. Leonard Wood, Missouri. Thats what we used to call in my day.

LOL!

Reply to
Scott A. Bregi AKA The Model Hobbit

Nope, never was stationed there but that's where I wound up going to out-process when I retired.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

ft leonard wood aka lost in the woods.

went to 3 years of high school there.

Hey, (e) - why are you posting my 'Reply-To' address instead of my 'From' address? It kinda defeats the whole purpose of munging...

Reply to
Al Superczynski