F4F-4 & FM-1

I understand that the basic difference between the F4F-4 and the FM-1 was, other where it was made, the deletion of the outer pair of guns from the wings.

Is this right or is there more?

Gondor

Reply to
Gondor

While not the definitive reference,Wildcat in action shows those as the only differences.It also states that the first ten had the 6 gun armament.

Reply to
eyeball

IIRC they removed the outer guns as a weight saving measure,after pilot complaints.But they did increase the amount of ammo.

Reply to
eyeball

If I remember correctly the F4F project was handed over to GM because Grumman needed the room for F6F production. The F4F was kept in production because it was ideal for use from jeep carriers. A lot of the jeep carriers were invloved in sub hunting and the extra gun pair was left off as unnecessary for the job.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Thanks guys, great amount of info