FineScale article on Waves made from Celluclay - How Easy.to do ..??

I've been reading this article over on page 26, 27 & 28 and I really want to try it with a couple of 1/400 scale ships in my pile.

Have any of you here used this method to make waves & water before. And if so just how hard on how easy is it to work with this celluclay and make waves and wakes.

Any tips on what to do and what to add to the mix and how to make it really smooth will be of great help to me.

I guess that my basic question here is. How do I make the best Water & Waves that I can out of the Celluclay, okay.

thanks very much

... cyberborg ..........

,,

Reply to
cyberborg 4000

Willshak

Yeah that was a pretty good article in FSM. The way the author described working with Celluclay is pretty accurate. The trick is to smooth out the waves and the gaps....and your ocean really comes out with the way you paint it. I hate it when someone just slaps some blue and a little white down. The way he described painting and then adding a final coating of Future is the way to do it. Have some fun and experiment with it.

Chris

Reply to
CCBlack

1:400 may be a bit small for Celluclay waves unless it is a hurricane! For that scale I would recommend artists matt acrylic medium, a finer material for smaller waves. Another trick for a small scale is to roll up aluminum foil, straighten it back out and glue to base- then paint.

Also, doing celluclay around a sub or any hull with a lot of tumblehome- you may find vessel trapped in the material so be sure you pull it out soon and carefully! I would then fill in the area between hull and celluclay with acrylic medium rather than spackling compound- it is easier to work with.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota