First Kill

Who was the first aviator killed in combat? By either ground fire, or a lucky pistol or rifle shot in the air, or maybe a shotgun blast as two opposing aircraft closed to range? I would welcome all to this discussion. Now days pilots (most times) don't even see the man( or aircraft) they about to kill. Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown

The first air-to-air combat took place during the Franco-Prussian War, when a German balloonist opened fire on a French balloonist, but there were no casualties in that engagement.

I believe the first war involving airplanes was the Second Balkan War of

1912-1913. I don't know if there were any casualties from ground fire.

E.F. Briggs of the RFC may have become the first aviator to be taken as a POW after his Avro 504K crashed during a raid on the Zeppelin works at Fredrichshaven in November of 1914.

Most likely the first casualty was inflicted during WWI, but I don't have enough references to say who it might have been. I'm guessing the unfortunate might have been a victim of Roland Garros.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

According to my reference, first aviator who experienced being a target in an airplane was Capt. Riccardo Moizo of Italian Army in war for Libia 1911. First to be killed in action was Lieut. Pietro Manzini who died in a crash after taking off to recon flight in same war. Unfortunatelly my reference doesn't say who was first victim of aerial combat...

Terminator

"I'll be back..."

Reply to
Terminator

Office is a mess due to rebuilding parts of the house, can't find my Air Facts & Feats book. If anybody can find their copy you should find the answer there.

IIRC it was a Turkish pilot in a scirmish either prior to or at the very beginning of WWI.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72