For Berkeley, CA Hardware Hobbyists Only

they are having a 20% off sale for the month of December on all hobby stuff; models, slot cars, train stuff, books, etc. no discount for magazines...

this store has it all. been buying there since 1974.

Craig

Reply to
crw59

any matchbox?

matchbox aircraft? probably. they have an entire section of misc brands and old, old kits....

Craig

Reply to
crw59

i'm looking for a beaufighter and me 110 is you see them.

you think he wants those, too? or maybe the elusive privateer? the beau is a sweet little kit with some bashing. and who doesn't lover that 110? hell, the decal sheet is worth buying. how many of each have you built, bill?

He he.!

Bill is a business partner and executive editor of ESM 72, so I already get a good discount.

Even better, though, when he gets the catalogs and notification of new kits he calls to see what I want. Later, when kits come in, he calls again and asks me if want this one or that one. I know that he does that for other customers as well. The Church it isn't, but The Church isn't any more, is it?

If there is a European modeling magazine that Bill does not get yet he will, eventually. I get all of the British, French, etc. mags from him. Sometimes he comes up with neat new stuff. Hongwell 1/72 diecast cars are among the unusual (to me) models that he comes up with.

If you are within a couple of hours drive from Berkeley it's easy to find: Find University Avenue, follow it east to the end, look left and there it is. Oh, he has a good selecton of books, too. Squadron, Naval Fighter series, etc.

Hope to see you there in December.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

the airfix doesn't look right. i sat it beside the matchbox and it didn't look right. i'm building the promeddler right now, it's ok. i have the 1/32 revell and need to deal with the motor issues. it looks kind of basic and primitive, but at least it's easy to bash big kits. how are the monograms? by the way, do you collect coins? silver is starting what i think will be a big rush, so i'm buying some 90% u.s. coin to salt away. a lot of the smart money boys are grabbing it up and it's up a buck the past month and doubled in 2 years. i think there will be another big jump soon. there is a real shortfall that industry is starting to feel. like copper. a pound of copper penny, 151, is worth 2 bucks! insane.

i hope to hit the bay this year...my neighbor will pay me for gas. i will hit berkely hard. tell me what matchbox they have if you have time to look, please?

That sound of a slamming door was probably Tom on his way over to the hardware store. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Tom probably has 3 of each already. But there's always something one wants but hasn't got.

1 of each. I have about 3 of the Monogram 110s and an Airfix. Don't buy an Airfix 110 unless you want a lot of fun sanding joints. I built that one just for the experience. I've missed the Italeri and the Fujimi examples.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Hmm, haven't set the Airfix next to the Matchbox but it doesn't surprise me that it doesn't look well next to the other. One good thing I did with mine was give it an allover coat of black paint and I used that Abt sheet with nightfighter markings. Want a banged up 1/32 110? This one was knocked down from a ceiling hook.

Cool. They first came out in the '60s and they have that Monogram 'clicks-tight' assembly. Cockpit is a bit empty as the crew plug into the walls. I had fun filling space with scratched panels, etc.

Outside of those state quarters and some bicentennial pieces all I have are foreign coins from my father's trip to Europe in '44-'45 and my father-in-law's visit to Korea in the early '50s. They seem to be worthless. Do you have any of the California or Texas quarters? They sure got sucked in to oblivion. I haven't seen one yet.

Uh-oh, sounds like camera film will be going up again. Drat, I just found an outfit that sells the odd sizes.

Better get my pennies rolled up and to the bank. They'll be needing them. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller