for the nautical minded

In the old days it was necessary to keep a good supply of canon balls near the cannon on ships. But how to prevent them from rolling about the deck was the problem. The best storage method devised was to stack them as a square based pyramid, with one ball on top, resting on four, resting on nine, which rested on sixteen. Thus, a supply of 30 cannon balls could be stacked in a small area right next to the cannon.

There was only one problem -- how to prevent the bottom layer from sliding/rolling from under the others. The solution was a metal plate with 16 round indentations, called a Monkey.

But if this plate was made of iron, the iron balls would quickly rust to it. The solution to the rusting problem was to make Brass Monkeys.

Few landlubbers realize that brass contracts much more and much faster than iron when chilled. Consequently, when the temperature dropped too far, the brass indentations would shrink so much that the iron cannon balls would come right off the monkey. Thus, it was quite literally, "cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey"!

And all this time, you thought that was a vulgar expression, didn't you?

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Actually, although it's an explanation I always liked myself, it's been disproven on numerous facts. Firstly, the rack was never called a monkey (so they say, the boys who fetched the powder up from the magazine were called "Powder Monkeys", weren't they?), secondly, and more conclusively, just how much do you imagine brass actually shrinks? Wasn't it likely it would be fixed to the deck, so it couldn't shrink in overall dimensions? Would the shrinkage be anywhere NEAR enough that a rack designed to hold the shot would fail to do so, except in the wildest of weather (when the weather, not the temperature, would be at fault)? I also heard other flaws in the story, but never an alternative explanation...

Wulf

Reply to
Wulf Corbett

The name 'Tampon' was a cork or wood plug for the muzzles of naval cannon to keep the salt sea out of the barrels. Later on it became what it is today..thanks for the chuckle Bill :) Mike

Reply to
Mike Keown

Actually, that's tompion- same root.

Reply to
Jim Atkins

Reply to
MGFoster

The only place I've seen that word is in the old Hornblower novels- I assumed C.S. Forester could spell.

Reply to
Jim Atkins

Ready use balls were stored in 'garlands', a length of wood with depressions in it for each ball. The expression was originally 'freeze the TAIL off a brass monkey'.

HTH

Reply to
David Amos

thank you for the informative correction. Didn't know it was unisex and certainly not about the crabs. That's why the wore head wigs (for lice and nits, I guess)-- the nether wigs figure on that basis.

Reply to
Boris Beizer

Anytime Boris,

I orig> thank you for the informative correction. Didn't know it was unisex and

Reply to
Ron

Reply to
Grandpa

Only in HERE could I expect to find the merkin-minded...normally I just get cross-eyed stares when I attempt to bring the word into light conversation...

I think the last time I've tripped over this word was in a book, in the context of some social setting in which there was a sign reading "merkins are available for those ladies whom require them"...like at a public bathhouse in some Victorian-age story. Can't recall definitively.

Reply to
Rufus

I believe that the girls who 'dance' at the Crazy Horse in Paris all wear them - it makes them all look the same (they shave). They also wear custom shoes to make them all the same height. Or so I've read.

RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

My first time through Las Vegas I somehow ended up at the stage exit in the basement of the old MGM Grande. I got to sit with one of the guards and watch all of the dancers coming off shift...I made a remark as to how tall they all seemed and he explained that the MGM only hired girls that were a minimum of six feet tall. That must have been circa 1983 or so.

Reply to
Rufus

How the heck do you wear a pubic wig! And doesn't it itch?!

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

I just saw a Bonanza where the bad guy was publicly humiliated by having his head hair all shaved off and made to go out in the street like that. Oddly he looked like so many young guys do everyday now.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Oh yeah...I can see it now...the "hair club for"...er..."there".

"So natual...you can even SWIM in it"...

Reply to
Rufus

Only when it's full of crabs...

RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Reply to
Grandpa

Jeeze and all this time I thought "Merkin" was the spelling of Walter Williams' pronounciation of "American" when he filled in for Rush Limbaugh

I darned sure won't be listening to "American Pie" again without laughing out loud.

Reply to
OXMORON1