Free Access Newsgroup server for rec.models.scale and others

Just to remind you all, there is a news server at news.sbxmodelshop.co.uk which is providing a full feed of the following news groups.

rec.models.scale alt.binaries.pictures.aviation alt.binaries.models.scale

Currently we have no plans to expire messages on rec.models.scale and we will be keeping at least 2 months worth of data for the other two news groups - which generate some 300mb per day in data!

To use this service, just point your news reader at news.sbxmodels.co.uk and you should be up and running. If you have any problems please contact me - snipped-for-privacy@sbxmodelshop.co.uk and I will do what I can to help. David SBX Model Shop

of Montex Masks to the world!

Reply to
david

Got it, Dave. Thanks. I don't know how much you want to put on your server, but there is also alt.binaries.pictures.military which does have a lot of pictures of all branches of the military.

Reply to
willshak

Got it, Dave. Thanks. I don't know how much you want to put on your server, but there is also alt.binaries.pictures.military which does have a lot of pictures of all branches of the military.

Reply to
willshak

Dvid, I want to thank you guys for doing that, I have been using your server for about a month now, and been very excited to finally get all the pics in thee binary group.

Again, thank you, and I will be visitg you store in July when I make one more janut across the channel before my wife and I return to the states.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Thank you very much indeed for this; my ISP (Free-Online) has recently dropped all the binary newsgroups, saying that they consumed an unfairly large amount of server space for the limited use that they got. I read this as the big file-swapping groups, mp3, dvd and etc were the problem, and little rec.models.scale was off the bottom of the register, but they weren't prepared to be selective. So your news is very welcome indeed.

Reply to
Alan Dicey

Use it, love it, find lots that I miss on my ISP's news server!!! Cheers, David

Reply to
David C. Mackechnie

FYI You have a typo in the second mention of your news servers address;

Reply to
Wildcat

My newsreader claims that there aren't *any* newsgroups carried by your server. :(

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Same happened to me ,I sent an e-mail of complaint and received a "too bad reply" . I sent another e-mail back requesting a reduced fee as I now don t get the full service that I originally signed up for.

No answer.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

Did you set up a new account for news.sbxmodelshop.co.uk ? He mistyped one reference as news.sbxmodels.co.uk (without the 'hop' after 'models').

Reply to
willshak

Am I stupid or what!!

news.sbxmodelshop.co.uk is the pukka address. David SBX Model Shop

of Montex Masks to the world!

Reply to
david

Can't resist the plug butr we are shipping to the US quite regularly now - masks, etched - that sort of thing. If its not too big we don't even charge for postage! David SBX Model Shop

of Montex Masks to the world!

Reply to
david

Yep, that's the news server name I entered. Still no joy. :(

Am I the only one having this problem?

Reply to
Al Superczynski

The following should be a link to the newsserver and one of the groups. Click on it in this message. news://news.sbxmodelshop.co.uk/rec.models.scale If it works, you should be asked if you want to set up an account for the server. If it doesn't work, I have no idea why not.

Reply to
willshak

Interesting. Your headers show that you're actually posting from Supernews:

If that's the case the whole point (for me) is moot as SBX Model Shop is sourcing his news feed from Supernews, and I use APN which also sources its feed from Supernews.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

That worked for me. Thanks!

BobbyG

Reply to
Bobby Galvez

That's because I posted in the rms group from my supernews account. The groups on the sbxmodelshop are the same as are on the supernews server or any other newsserver. What I post on supernews shows up in the sbx server and vice versa. When you get there, you will see the messages you have posted on your newsserver. I am posting this reply from the sbx server. See what my header says now.

The only advantage to using the sbx server is that David said the retention period would be longer than on some other newsservers.

Reply to
willshak

Reply to
Al Superczynski

As has been mentioned, we have a very much longer retention period than most news servers - in fact we currently have no plans to expire any messages. Also, we source from 2 independent sources so we tend to get a complete feed. Some news providers don't always do that. We are free - unlike Supernews, so if all you want is the model and picture groups then we are cheaper - grin.

Lastly, we should be a bit quicker as we are not trying to provide huge numbers of users with huge amounts of binary downloads.

Hope this helps. David SBX Model Shop

of Montex Masks to the world!

Reply to
david

Got everything sorted - I just had to click on 'Reset' in Agent's Newsgroup Directory and they came up. I guess it's safe to cancel my APN subscription now... :)

Cheers!

Reply to
Al Superczynski