Trends in modeling

That thread about what would be the next trend in modeling has stirred some gray cells. I think there has been a trend slowly sneaking up on us for some time. Remember all the comments over time about kit builders vs. kit collectors?? I think the industry has started to take notice of this phenomenon and adapt to it. es: Hasegawa re-releasing the same mold time after time with different decals and maybe a small bit of resin. Pretty soon you have a half dozen of essentially the same kit sitting on the shelf. I wonder how many of the duplications actually get built. I believe this is marketing essentially slanted toward the kit collector. Then there is the Eduard outfit. I think they are taking the trend to catering to the kit collector to a whole new level with their recent releases on the Fokker D.7 and Albatross D.5. Multiple kits in the same box with different decals and now the "Royal Series" with all three variants of the D.7 in one box along with that resin fuel cart and the cast brass Blue Max. This looks to me more and more like marketing aimed at the kit collector rather than the kit builder. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining as this simply means more options for us builders. If there are any complaints it might come from the aftermarket decal companies! :-)

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

I think you have a good point. I'll bet the upcoming 50 years of Revell release or older kits will be a big success. I have my order in already. I would also bet 90% of what is bought from this offering never gets opened let alone built. I wonder if it is like this worldwide or just here in the US? I, like you, am a buildet. That said, I have to admit I have about 25 or so kits that I have no intention of opening let alone building.

Reply to
Count DeMoney

I sure wish I could get my hands on that Blue Max without having to buy the kit...

Reply to
Rufus

We are finsing that the 'normal' modeller comes in and enjoys looking at the Royal bix - but then spends £20 on a single kit ratrher than £64 for the Royal kit. The Blue Max looks like fun but...

Our best Eduard kit currently is the Spowith Camel combo, which at £21.50 is a fantastic bargain and we are having trouble keeping it in stock! David SBX Model Shop

of Montex Masks to the world!

Reply to
david

I bought the double Fokker D.7 kit, also a nice bargain. I think their "trial balloon" for this might have been the double kit containing both a Nieuport 11 and 17.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

The problem with the double Fokker D.VII (Fokker) is that it was just that - double. The double kit for the OAW version had extra decals which made it a much better purchase if you are a builder - as opposed to a lot of our customers who are 'buyers' - grin. The same is with the Camel combo - there are extra schemes. David SBX Model Shop

of Montex Masks to the world!

Reply to
david

David,

What percentage of your kit buyers are builders vs kit collectors?

Reply to
Count DeMoney

Apologies - there is no such thing as a double OAW kit - I was referring to the Pfalz combo - sorry David SBX Model Shop

of Montex Masks to the world!

Reply to
david