Getting thinner out of gallon cans without making a mess.

Alan Dicey wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

Honestly, my experience has been everything works with everything.

Over time I acquired Floquil for RR Floquil for military Testors Airbush Aeromaster Humbrol even some Pactra

I've also bought gallon cans of reqular hardware store paint thinner and quarts of lacquer thinner.

I've yet to find something that doesn't work. The lacquer thinner and paint thinner are more likely my universal as that is frequently what is in the small jar when I am mixing small quantites for the airbrush. I have never detected any real difference between the generics and the "name brands". BUt that's just me.

I have a lot of different kinds of paint and my thoght is I want to reduce the number of thinners/cleaners I have to stock, until I can reduce the brands.

Lacquer thinner has been my universal cleaner. That is what I shoot throught the airbrushes. Paint thinner and lacquer could be in the was in the brush bath at any given time.

As far as this new green stuff goes, the label says the particulate will not affect the dried color. It may lighten the ;iquid paint a bit, but it should dry fine. Personally I have mixed feelings about this. I have no one to blame but myself for not checking more carefully when I bought it. I will probably not buy it again as I don't like what the sediment looks like when it settles out.

Reply to
ftauss

I found out early on that Testors thinner tended to curdle Humbrol after a day or two. Humbrol's thinner did not so I have some of each. Perhaps they were old formulae and that does not apply now. I don't know but I try not to re-invent the wheel.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller