Got U-505 fever -- need kit recommendation

OK, so my wife and I just went through the newly-opened U-505 exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago.

They did an excellent job. It's just freaky, though, to see the old girl INSIDE a building. Inside a building, UNDER GROUND.

But, they did an excellent job cleaning her up.

So, now I have U-505 fever. I remember building something that was probably Revell way back when I was a kid... MSI's gift shop sells a private-labled kit for $12, which is probably a re-boxed Revellogram kit.

I'm not necessarily looking for rivet-perfect -- I just want a reasonably accurate IX-C/40, preferably with the 505's numbering and maybe Lange's crest.

Any recommendations? Or is the Revellogram kit good enough if I leave the net cutter off?

Thanks.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Braun

Look up the old Nichimo(sp) 1/200 kit. Better than the Monogram in every respect. Make sure it has the extra AA wintergarden. I'm sure Venture up in Wheeling would have it.

Reply to
tomcervo

Thanks. I'm in NW Indiana, however, and don't think I'll be up that way for a couple of months.

I did, however, find the Nichimo IXC/40 kit at Internet Hobbies...at least, my order went in. We'll see if it's in stock and ships.

Now, all I need is a set of 1/200 decals for the 505. I can probably make the number from the set for the 511 (that's what the kit is), but I need to find Lange's crest (maybe I can find someone with an ALPS who can squeeze a couple of crests into the next decal run...)

Oh, and the Nichimo IXC/40 does have the wintergarten.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Braun