Graf Zeppelin gondolas

I just got the Lindberg Graf Zeppelin kit. I see what appears to be some
conflict on the color of the engine gondolas. Some instructions say
they should be white. But in the pictures I see, they sure seem to be
the same color as the main hull, the aluminum-dope appearance. Might
the color have changed during the life of the craft?
Reply to
Don Stauffer
Don,
I'd go with the aluminum hull colour. I don't think I've ever heard that the engine cars were white at any time, though depending on how the light reflected they might appear that way on some photos.
Also, I'm not sure what the kit decals show but I believe the current consensus is that the name 'Graf Zeppelin' on the forward hull was a dark red colour.
Regards, Ralph
Reply to
Ralph Currell
Thanks. I guess I could scan the kit decals and do a color replacement to a dark red. Was the LZ-127 still black?
Ralph Currell wrote:
Reply to
Don Stauffer
Yes, the registration was black. Note that the registration appeared on the top of the hull as well as the sides, at least for part of the ship's career (this is seldom seen in photos since most were taken from underneath). I'm currently designing a card stock model of the Graf so I've got a bit of reference material on hand if you need more info.
Regards, Ralph
Reply to
Ralph Currell

Site Timeline