Graf Zeppelin gondolas

I just got the Lindberg Graf Zeppelin kit. I see what appears to be some conflict on the color of the engine gondolas. Some instructions say they should be white. But in the pictures I see, they sure seem to be the same color as the main hull, the aluminum-dope appearance. Might the color have changed during the life of the craft?

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Don,

I'd go with the aluminum hull colour. I don't think I've ever heard that the engine cars were white at any time, though depending on how the light reflected they might appear that way on some photos.

Also, I'm not sure what the kit decals show but I believe the current consensus is that the name 'Graf Zeppelin' on the forward hull was a dark red colour.

Regards, Ralph

Reply to
Ralph Currell

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Yes, the registration was black. Note that the registration appeared on the top of the hull as well as the sides, at least for part of the ship's career (this is seldom seen in photos since most were taken from underneath). I'm currently designing a card stock model of the Graf so I've got a bit of reference material on hand if you need more info.

Regards, Ralph

Reply to
Ralph Currell