Handley Page Harrow

Does anyone know what the airfoil was that was used on the twin engine Handley Page Harrow? Asking for a friend working on a scratch built model.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Spierings

Maybe you will find a look at the Putnam book on "Handley Page Aircraft since

1908" (I hope I have the year right) of use.

Trevor.

Reply to
87015

Unfortunately the Putnam book (Handley Page Aircraft since 1907, ISBN

0-85177-803-9), doesn't say. Neither do any of the other obvious sources I have. Forgotten Bombers of the Royal Air Force, by Ken Wixey (ISBN 1-85409-306-1) has a relatively detailed description of the wing structure, but not the aerofoil. However, it does say that "Dr Lachmann based the cantilever monoplane wing on that of the earlier H.P. 47 general purpose monoplane". Of the H.P. 47, the Putnam says "Lachmann proposed a low-wing cantilever monoplane with a uniformly tapered wing of RAF 34 section". It doesn't specifically say whether or not that was used, but it doesn't mention that proposal being changed.

Jon.

Reply to
Jonathan Stilwell

Trevor,

Thanks for the heads up on the title. Unfortunately its not available in my local library. Nor through any of the local stores or Amazon.com in the US. I believe, based on Amazon UK, that the title is Handley page Aircraft Since 1907. In any case I'll keep my eyes open. I'm hoping that that someone who has the book can take a look and tell me if any airfoil info is given for the Harrow.

Thanks

Chris

87015 wrote:
Reply to
Chris Spierings

See if you can get hold of a 1980s edition of Aicraft of the Fighting Powers by Argus Books. ISBN 0 85242 647 X

It's in Volume 1 on page 25! Sadly I do not have that copy but each section has a cross-index. The later editions have beautifully detailed line drawings, showing rivets, panel markings and also with various cross sections. For example, the Lancaster BIII spans across three A4 sheets in a pullout.

The earlier editions such as 1942 are really just pages of thickly outlined aircraft, with no detail.

HTH!

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

Richard,

Thanks a lot. From the input I"ve gotten it appears that the Harrow used the RAF 34 airfoil. In speaking with the guy who is working on the project he is going to got with that airfoil or perhaps the RAF 38.

Thanks for the tip.

Chris

Richard Brooks wrote:

Reply to
Chris Spierings

I might actually have that data also, so I shall have a look and send backup details.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

Only the Brits would name an a/c after a farm implement!

;-)

Reply to
Michael Stanley

Isn't also the name of a school?

Reply to
Richa5011

Yes. An agricultural college? (Ducking). :-)

Reply to
DHopper8

I 'think' it's a town in the same vein as 'Halifax' and 'Hampden'.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

it is. farm town in the 60's, no clue today. went through on the way to cleckheaton to make the pilgrimage at phelan and moore.

Ummm Harrow is a school, but the bomber was named after the town of Harrow which is a suburb of London close to Wembley, it hasn't been agriculteral there since WW1 at the latest.

-- estarriol

Reply to
The shuffling Shambling Zombiefied corpse of estarriol

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

Until the V-Bombers appeared after the war, it was the policy to name RAF bombers after towns, cities and, occasionally, villages. Harrow is a town.

Gordon McLaughlin

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

Lancaster, Manchester, Wellesley... This is interesting:

Darren J Longhorn

huh? did i remember the wrong town? this was not near london.

Thank heavens they changed fighter names before the Spit came along. I don't think the 'Fitfire' would be half so stirring...

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

British naming conventions get worse, these names only apply to planes that were built to a RAF spec, private companies could build a plane and name it how they wished, Vickers were a case in point for this, the Wellesley was named after a person, and the Wellington was named after the same person, as they were both private builds adopted by the Air ministry for use.

-- estarriol the damned

Reply to
The shuffling Shambling Zombiefied corpse of estarriol

Wellesley and Wellington are both places too.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn