He 115 Colors followup

I pulled out my Revell kit (latest issue) and the one book I have that has HE 115 (Axis Aircraft of WWII) data.

A closer look at the Revell box top suggests that it is rendered in a dark grey/dark green, not 70/71. The book has a picture of the 115 looking directly down from above as it is prepped for a mission. The colors are somewhat blended together by weathering/fading but it appears that it is a dark grey/dark green combo. The pattern seems to generally follow what is indicated on the Revell paint diagram.

There is a side view of a KuFlGr 406 aircraft with distinctly Grey and dark green camo, but the pattern is differnet from the side views given by Revell. FWIW the Brits had 3 A-2s (previously Norwegian) and 1 B-1 captured from the Luftwaffe, though I have nothing on thier markings. Since they were used for clandestine ops perhaps they retained thier German markings. One was even used by BOAC.

What I found odd was that I had thought I had a ref that said aircraft flown over water were supposed to be 70/71 but the dark grey makes sense after seeing the picture even the lighter grey one seems as if it would blend in well. I haven't the faintest idea what the grey was though RLM

66 would be seem reasonable.

They were apparently also used in the Med, I suppose you could look at other Luftwaffe aircraft in the Med and use those colors with the same pattern.

Lotsa luck, Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Frank:

Standard Luftwaffe over water colors were 72/73 with 65 lower surfaces.

72 and 73 were somewhat different colors than the standard early war 70/71 greens, but in black and white photos you couldn't tell the difference. Only outfit that makes the 72/73 colors as far as I know is Extra Color enamels, sold by Hannant's.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Polly Scale does most of the RLM sequence, including 72, 73 and 65.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert