Hellcat and Corsair

"If cavemen and astronauts had a fight, who would win?"

When I'm in a mischievous mood, I tend to post similar questions on newsgroups, with ludicrous pairings.

So... here's my question...

If Hellcats and Corsairs had a fight, who would win? ;-)

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Depends which Corsair.

Reply to
Flakmonkey

:-D Okay, lets level the playing field and say F6F-5 and F4U-1D.

But, lets stir things up a bit and say, if F4U-4s and Sea Furys had a fight, who would win?

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

oh...i was going to say the F8....bah

Reply to
Jules

The F6F-5 because it *looks* meaner.

Oooh, too close to call. The Sea Fury would sound nicer though.

Reply to
Flakmonkey

If Crusaders and Lightnings had a fight, who would win?

But... lets put a time limit of ten minutes on this one, eh? ;-)

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

The Crusader (ducks and runs for cover).

Reply to
Flakmonkey

Anyway, if DH Hornets and Me 262s had a fight who would win?

Reply to
Flakmonkey

the corsair is tougher, but if you can hit the pilot, you could be flying a brick.

Reply to
someone

yeh... we're talking Lightnings here... not Migs... :-D

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

The Hornet jockey. He would simply have to follow Spitfire recce tactics.

There are numerous documented accounts of recce Spitfires being intercepted by ME 262s (and in one case an Ar 234). In every case the Spitfire pilot simply put his ircraft into a sustained turn. The Spitfire could out-turn an ME 262 and so the Spit pilot simply waited for the jet to run out of fuel and disengage.

I'm sure that a Hornet would have been able to follow similar tactics.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

If the F-8 can avoid the fight going into the vertical, it has a pretty good chance. Times 2 if the Lightning is an F3 armed with Redtops. That's quite a match up really, both machines would have been quite a handfull in a dogfight, the F-8 making up in agility what it lacked in speed against the Lightning. Now, a Lightning with 9 Limas....

Reply to
Flakmonkey

That's not really a surprise (and I bet a Hornet could out turn a 262 or a 234 at certain spots in the sky, and I could think of a couple of ways to pitch back to dive on those Spits that I might try with a 262), but the real answer to ALL of these is of course, it depends on who's flying...

Q: if an A-6E and a Cessna 172 had a fight, who would win?

A: The Cessna...because I was not only willing to fly lower than he was, but I could also out turn the snot out of him just like those Spits.

Had have a friend that I used to skydive with that flew out of VX-5 and used to jump me if he was up and heard my voice on the radio...he did that until I got tired of it and turned on him one day...so he decides to break it off and set again...not only did I out turn him, but I drug him lower and met him back in the face...two passes, engagement over as he climbed away...

Reply to
Rufus

what kind of blockhead would chase a spit with an ar 234?

Reply to
someone

If a Supermarine Spitfire and a Triumph Spitfire had a fight...which one would be cooler to own?

Reply to
eyeball

the supermarine because the price of darkness does not inhabit it's electrics. the only good running triumphs i've seen were rewired with all american electronics. i know of a tr3 that went through 7 owners until one did the switch. 17 years with no electrical problems. now about them oil leaks....

Reply to
someone

Yeah, I think that the F4U and the F6F could turn inside the F8U. The Cruz would have to hit them first in a dive and keep going.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

What altitude? The performance of all fighter aircraft is very altitude dependent. Better aircraft at one altitude is often not the best at another. Don't recall the performance curves of the two aircraft, so don't know the optimum altitude of those two aircraft, but probably not the same.

Unfortunately, many of the comparisons of fighter performance don't bring out this factor. If the two aircraft are each at their optimum altitude and it is much different, wouldn't be much of a dogfight :-)

Reply to
Don Stauffer

A guy I knew had a Triumph Spitfire. Any time the temperature went below 40 degrees or it turned rainy, the only way he could start his car was with a shove from my Volkswagen. How could a company from a country as damp as Britain make electronics like that? Thankfully the other Spitfires didn't have Lord Lucas' electronics, or they'd be speaking Cherman.... As to oil leaks, the same guy also had a Triumph bike. I only rode with him once; after I threw out those jeans because of the oil stains, I wouldn't get on that bike any more.

Reply to
The Old Man

Are you sure this hasn't really happened? One of those Central American spats certainly featured Corsairs, but I think both sides had 'em...

Regards,

Reply to
Moramarth