Hellcat and Corsair

Well, if we're going to bring in the haulers, who wins between a C 47 and a P 51 in a turning (friendly) dogfight? C 47, according to Erik Schilling, who was flying it. He wrote it up on the RAM group a while before his death, to make the point (IIRC) in the real world the P51 would have hauled off and wasted him with high- speed passes, rather than being embarrasingly chased round the sky...

Regards,

Reply to
Moramarth

i bet it was mostly on your left leg. triumph had a chain oiler than runs off the return pump to the oil res. it can be set to put out a lot, a little, or none. lots of guys ran with it on and left a trail of fine spray plus had a coating on the left side of the bike. i've shut mine off and blocked the tube. i use spray lube after every ride and that has stopped leakage everywhere except the crankcases. they split vertically and must de leveled and chamfered before reassembly. or you can make a gasket. triumph didn't use one. i do both and still get weeping but not as bad as most.

Reply to
someone

...then there's also the gross weight of each to consider - am I meeting the guy heavy, or light? And how far am I from home and where's my closest divert if I need one? What's my bleed rate after the first turn, and what's his? What's the other guy's corner speed? What's his turn rate vs turn radius look like compared to mine, and at which altitudes? Where are the blind spots in his cockpit? How is he trained? What's his physical condition like? What did he have for breakfast this morning?

etc., etc., etc...

Reply to
Rufus

soccor war? i have a decal sheet about it...we call it footie!

Reply to
Jules

..and we turn off the telly when it comes on.

That *really* annoys my brother and sister. :-D

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Come out of the sun. Make your first strike count. Disengage.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Exactly the question I was thinking. My brother had two MGBs. Neither was any good in damp weather. Do the English just prefer walking?

Reply to
eyeball

As it would I, also. You wanna bore me quick, put baseball on the tube. I can't stand US football and my attitude goes all to hell if there's absolutely no news on weekends because they can't interrupt the Holy Games to tell me what's happening in the real world.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Exactly the question I was thinking. My brother had two MGBs. Neither was any good in damp weather. Do the English just prefer walking?

not me hate it, English cars are crap...

my old 70's Toyotas would start 1st time in the middle on winter below 0, while the other crap wouldnt and i would laugh.....

Reply to
Jules

well i have a very stupid neighbour...without internet, who asked for us to get them the dvd Grid Iron. now when he asked he wanted 'Gridi ron ' that how he said it and i had noooo idea what he was on about...he wouldnt accept i was right and he was wrong

mind you, other month playing some adult board game IQ thing, he said out 'dead as a doo doo'

Theres dyslexia and stupid, but now i know him, he falls into the latter.

Reply to
Jules

I belive that this would be an even match - same period plane, built for the same purpose and with identical engines. Even the armament is the same. My best bet is that the winner would be the one surprising the other or othervise the best pilot

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen

i hate all of that sports stuff.

Reply to
someone

?he lysdexic maybe

Reply to
someone

I bet they don't weight the same, and that makes a huge difference. So does the visibility out of each cockpit. I don't think they used the same propeller either, did they? And their control moments, tail volumes, etc. aren't identical...it's not that simple.

Reply to
Rufus

Definitely agree. Everyone in my area talks football. All...year...long. Baseball was ok when I was a kid...and it was a game, not a bunch of rich crybabies complaining they can't play due to infected tongue studs or what have you...but now, gimme a good documentary (NOT History channel bigfoot crap) or some SF. Or better yet, a new model.

Reply to
eyeball

6, 9:06 pm, snipped-for-privacy@some.doma>

all

My "Buy American" father allowed us to also have VW Bugs. I miss the days when you could get a decent one for $100. Wonderful cars, I had two. If only they didn't rust at the mention of water.

Reply to
eyeball

About 25 years ago I bought a '71 Triumph Spit. I kept it for about 4 years. It never really gave me fits in damp weather other than the obligatory top leaks in the rain. When the temps were below 30 degs F, it wouldn't start. Wait til it warmed up to freezing & it'd fire right up. I think I busted 3 pistons during those years. All at the top ring groove & never hurt the cylinder wall. It never leaked oil, either. The main problems besides the pistons were the U-joints in the axles & that damned carb with the oil dashpot in it & the muffler rusting out. The last one I got a $20 from Auto Shack & made it fit. Lasted longer than the other 2 or 3 combined! I learned pretty quick when any vehicle has a 'bonnet' or a hood that the whole thing opens for 'ease of maintenance', walk away, QUICK! I found the same thing with semi-truck tractors. My dad used to joke that my Spit & his Mack, when both pulled into the lot or the driveway, the hood swung open all by itself.

On Jan 17, 5:42=A0pm, eyeball wrote:

Reply to
frank

all of the above also fit their motocycles. just change bonnet for battery cover. all of my bonnie's leaked oil, both of the triples, 3 of the single carbs and my bsa singles all acted like pennsylvania oil fields in the 1880's. my nortons leaked, my comet leaked, my rapide leaked, the velocette thruxton spouted oil and even my antique jap 500 single leaked.(that's j a prestwick, not japanese.) what britbike didn't leak? my red hunter. it also was the strongest pulling single i ever had. pulled a 300 pound chair and fat lady easily. fastest britbike i had? the goldsar, far and away. all of these bikes were cheap used in the 60's. i would be happy to have any one now, except i already have a 650 twin. that damn thruxton was scary fast but the goldy handled way better.

Reply to
someone