history morons

no thanks. a buddy and i post in alt.skinheads to bait the idiots.
e wrote:

No, not morons, they just don't care about accuracy. I am convinced that frequently they KNOW they are making incorrect statements, but do so because it makes a better or more exciting feature. These guys are video producers, not historians. They do not have a historian's sense of ethics.
It is an old trick in fiction to make a story better by claiming, swearing that it is true. I find History Channel, Discovery Channel, TLC, and NG all doing this on their supposedly non-fiction productions.
It has been a trend in Hollywood too, in recent decades, to produce a fiction movie in the style of a news story or documentary.
We as a society are starting to be unable to tell fact from fiction. And I suspect few these days even care :-(

maybe on the tv shows, but they often return email saying essentially, duh, we didn't know that.
e wrote:

Sure, you think they'd admit, "well we juiced it up a little to make a better story" ?

tv egis don't usually admit mistakes.

Im not sure all Historians have a sense of ethics, a lot come up with ideas(later proved to be wrong) that are rushed to print to further there ability to sell books, lecture, appear on TV etc, all to make money. And what of the English "Historian" recently given 5 years in an Austrian prision for claiming the holocaust never happened. When any right minded person should know what went on

Im sure the history and discovery channel are giving there intial (US) audiance exactly what they want to hear, we did it First, best, fastest, more expensivly than the rest of the world, I watch a lot of these channels, and am always left with the impression that the only participants in WW2 were the Japs Germans and the USA and USSR, Hardly any other mention of others when in fact 16 nations fought in the italian campaign on the allies side. Korea the same, Vietnam ditto, GW1.

Or even too produce a movie based on true events, then completely twist the truth so they can get in a big name movie star or appeal to an American audiance. Great Escape(Steve McQ), bridge on the kwai (William Holden), U571, are three that instantly spring to mind but Im sure there are a lot more.

Sad to say it but I totally agree :-(
Bigbilly wrote:

Actually, they often do just the opposite. The history of early jet engines is an example. The conventional wisdom is that US was way behind Europe in mid to late thirties. The myth is that two lone inventors, Hans Von Ohain and Frank Whittle single handedly invented turbojet engine. Actually, US had been working on idea also, for years, and both GE and Lockheed had queried Wright-Pat about sending proposals on jet engines. Army said no at time (for reasons I won't get into for reasons of brevity). Actually, a contract was signed with four US firms to develop GT engines days before GE got contract to develop Whittle copy. These four engines were entirely US designs, and GE had two compartmented programs, one for Whittle copy and one for their own internal design.
TV histories never tell this side of story.
Also, US led in several other aircraft powerplant technologies. They did not go into production in large numbers, but if you think you can avoid war for a few more years, in an era of rapid technological development you can benefit by continuing R&D and NOT committing to production. Soviets benefitted by this strategy frequently during cold war.

Witness Dan Ackroyd's "documentary" about UFO's and the idiots who believe it.
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0470994 /
They forget that he is a professional actor who makes people laugh by sounding sincere.
(kim)
kim wrote:

Exactly. This is the kind of thing I am talking about. I'm an ex AF officer, and engineer with two aerospace firms who spent my career doing R&D. I can walk around WPAFB blindfolded. The labs with frozen space aliens are a bunch of crap.
Sure, Don, that's what y'all ALL say........... :)
Don Stauffer wrote:

Better be careful, Mulder will be knocking on your door some evening!
                    Bill Shuey :-)
Hello
I go to the discovery.com to see the weapon..... by any means is the Corner Shot System......???
Greetings
TDC The Bunker Collection 1965-2006

I saw that last night (although I thought it was discovery channel?) and was thinking didn't I see this same thing listed as a Wermacht invention a few weeks ago on History channel :-P

yep.