How Do I Back Date an F/A-18C to an A?

Hi:

Can anyone tell me whether or not the A model had airbrakes. It appears to me from pictures that I have seen that there weren't any. I am wanting to back date Academy's 18C to an A model flown by the RAAF and I was wondering what other differences there were.

I appreciate your assistance and I really am looking forward to your answers.

Thanx, Carl

Reply to
fredjocko

The A model had the same airbrake between the tails as the C model (and the B and D models for that matter). The main differences between the C and A model Hornets were the main instrument panel, and various antenna bumps on the sides of the nose, tops of the tail, and under the intakes. Actually, the Academy 1/32 Hornet has A model parts in the box, but they are not used. The only thing it doesn't have is the A model tails, but you could modify the C tails by removing one of the rear antennas above the rudders. This article shows the antenna differences between the A and C models (it's a Canadian A, but the Australian one would be the same, except they don't have the spotlight).

You also need to use the other instrument panel in the kit, plus (not mentioned in the article) add the ALR-67 antenna fairings under the intakes. These are included in the kit and the underside of the intakes have flashed over holes to accept them.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

Were the external rudder braces that the Aussie FA18As were fitted with retained or internalised in the FA18C? Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

The internal tail bracing occured during -C production. Early -Cs still have the external braces. Depends on the specific BuNo of the aircraft.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

Speedbrake - yes; the same one between the tails like a C. No change there.

You'll also need to modify the structure at the tops of the tails - I think Black Box has a set of A tails available...otherwise, look at some pics of A and C tails to see what I mean.

There are also some bumps (antennae) that you'll need to shave off of the C to backdate it. The ones on the top of the spine, and two(?) on either side of the nose. Again - check pics...and I think the Aussies have the side ID light in the Gun Access door like the Canadians do.

If the kit has the option, use the Gun Bay door (lower nose) with louvers - not the one with screens.

The C kit should also be missing the "RESCUE" door on the right side of the forward fuselage - this was deleted. So you'll need to scribe that back in and add/or the decal for it unless Academy forgot to delete it on the C.

In the cockpit, you'll have to swap out the USN NACES seat to an SJU-5 set up with integral straps - also similar to Canadian usage. Also shave the IFEI off of the control panel and replace with the older Fuel Quantity indicator. And you'll have to backdate the center display to the older HI...it's a bit bulkier than the newer MPCD.

Reply to
Rufus

Depends on when the C went through stuctureal rework. The early ones were external. Later mods were "semi-internal" and were also incorporated into Production for later Lot Cs.

Reply to
Rufus

Nope...I was wrong about the ID light...mea culpa...

Reply to
Rufus

I really appreciate the answers. They have been a big help and I have been able to identify some of the extra pieces by the suggestions and photos from the link mentioned. The only thing I haven't figured out yet, is whether or not the tail had the external braces. I have the black box A tails and they have the bumps like the late model C does. I am doing the RAAF anniversary bird with the new Model Alliance decals.

Thanx, Carl

Rufus wrote:

Reply to
fredjocko

My guess would be external braces for jets that old, and these photos indicate they are externally braced...at least on the outsides of the tails:

Rufus